Savage Target/F class rifles

10 years ago i had a Savage 110 FP Tactical heavy barrel in .223. It shot RG 62 grn mil surplus fodder like it was match ammo all the way out to 600 yds..

The downside was that it would lose it's zero after 50 or so rounds.. In the process of changing the scope as i thought this was the problem i realised that the action was twisted.. As i looked down the unscoped action, i could see that the front mount leaned to the left and the rear mount to the right..

The rifle was bought new but the importer refused to honour the warranty claiming that using "5.56"mm milspec ammo meant that the throat was too short as it was cut for .223" SAMMI spec ammo and the unduly high pressures had caused the action to twist..

I'll never buy Savage again regardless of how much they may have improved over the years... ;)

Northwest Custom Rifles I think does them, but I may be wrong

Thanks Col

Heres the link to their site, decent guys too:

http://www.nwcustomparts.com/index.html

Hi Simon if you are looking to go 6br norma why not get a cheapy quality donor action{ie shot out/sako 75 with correct bolt face for example] and get a custom rebarrel job then you know exactly what you got.Action say £500 and rebarrel with a Kreiger to your spec say another £750 ish???or perhaps a 308 remy pss and rebarrel??Just an idea ,regards anyway Onehole.

Hi Simon if you are looking to go 6br norma why not get a cheapy quality donor action{ie shot out/sako 75 with correct bolt face for example] and get a custom rebarrel job then you know exactly what you got.Action say £500 and rebarrel with a Kreiger to your spec say another £750 ish???or perhaps a 308 remy pss and rebarrel??Just an idea ,regards anyway Onehole.

Hi Dave, that idea had crossed my mind but I liked the idea of an "off the shelf".

You could always loan me one of your vast stable of RPA's if you like ;)

Just deviating off topic for a moment. I am up at Air Arms this week, picking up a load of long forgotten goodies ex-show stuff cadet loaners etc. I will let you Cornish boys know whats up for grabs when I get back.

Regards to Mrs Onehole and your goodself.

Cheers

Simon

Simon

if you like RPA's, why not get a Quadlite single shot action new, get someone to barrel it in the chamber of choice and place it in a stock for you?

Single shot RPA quadlites are circa £750 new and a world away from the Savage in terms of quality. There is also the Barnard S action, that is similar to the RPA (both are Rem 700 footprints)

Just an idea mate.

Simon

if you like RPA's, why not get a Quadlite single shot action new, get someone to barrel it in the chamber of choice and place it in a stock for you?

Single shot RPA quadlites are circa £750 new and a world away from the Savage in terms of quality. There is also the Barnard S action, that is similar to the RPA (both are Rem 700 footprints)

Just an idea mate.

do garlands still bring in sav?

if it was me i would go the quadlite route as well it just makes better sense, now there is nothing wrong with the sav,its just it will only be a sav at the end of the day.and the RPA will be a full custom.and should be worth more.

just another reason

ATB

Colin ;)

+1 on a quadlite - having had one and loved it. I would use the RPA trigger as well.

David

Hi Simon ,

Another +1 on the quadlite too!!!

Have owned 2 / 243 ackley and 6.5-284 and impressed with both!!!!! :wacko:

If i remember right Simon you was kind enough to show me your 6.5-55 quadlite when they was in there infantsy - thanks for that!!! :D

All the best...............

RAY................................... :lol: :lol:

do garlands still bring in sav?

if it was me i would go the quadlite route as well it just makes better sense, now there is nothing wrong with the sav,its just it will only be a sav at the end of the day.and the RPA will be a full custom.and should be worth more.

just another reason

ATB

Colin :wacko:

Yes col they do; http://www.garlands.uk.com/Savage%20UK%20Stockists.pdf

ft

Hi Simon ,

Another +1 on the quadlite too!!!

Have owned 2 / 243 ackley and 6.5-284 and impressed with both!!!!! :wacko:

If i remember right Simon you was kind enough to show me your 6.5-55 quadlite when they was in there infantsy - thanks for that!!! :D

All the best...............

RAY................................... :lol: :lol:

That's right Ray I had the first Interceptor ever in 6.5x55mm, which certainly had an impact on yourself and Onehole (who has since become RPA's best customer :lol: ) I wrote up the rifle in Gun Mart Oct 2002. I cannot dissagree on the RPA choice but they are pricy. Ideally Quadlite action and trigger unit, Border barrel, MacMillan stock. But what is that going to cost? More beans than I have got in my tin, that's for sure! The Savage I could get for under £1100.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,RPA,s are just way too expensive now,I was able to get them when when they were around £1700 and £2200 with a premium barrel of my choice but my last experience with RPA as a company left me sadly dissapointed on many issues.However I have the actions I need{want}now and will only ever have to rebarrel.I picked up two complete rifles 2nd hand at £1200 with a PES and another minter at £1400 so watch the 2nd hand market especially Guntrader as Varminter and Varmartin have picked up bargains recently too!All the best cu sometime Onehole.

Have to agree with Onehole I just picked up an RPA Quadlite in 6.5-284 including brass and dies for £1100 on guntrader. She's a real shooter now i've reset the trigger. Seems to be plenty of barrel life after checking with bore scope, the previous owner stated 400 rnds we'll see.

She is still cheap even if I need to put a new tube on her.

Keep your eyes peeled there bargins to be had on Guntrader, but you need to check regularily or the bargins get snapped up.

Cheers

Dave

Dude......you must now have more guns than Navarone.

I recon you keep the gold you pull :wacko::D:lol:

:lol::lol:;)

Nice one Martin, it pays for the odd pint :lol:

Couldn't resist the bargin, it also helps me on the quest of the 1000yd bunny :o

Will have to catch up again sometime.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Yep ....totally agree, good choice for the long ones..........Ray will be humpin your leg for a go on that one :wacko:

Will `defiantly` catch up one day :D

I've warned the local farmer he's coming down :lol: so the sheep are going on holiday :lol:

Perhaps we should change his name as we've got a jack russel that humps legs :wacko::D

Cheers

Dave

10 years ago i had a Savage 110 FP Tactical heavy barrel in .223. It shot RG 62 grn mil surplus fodder like it was match ammo all the way out to 600 yds..

The downside was that it would lose it's zero after 50 or so rounds.. In the process of changing the scope as i thought this was the problem i realised that the action was twisted.. As i looked down the unscoped action, i could see that the front mount leaned to the left and the rear mount to the right..

The rifle was bought new but the importer refused to honour the warranty claiming that using "5.56"mm milspec ammo meant that the throat was too short as it was cut for .223" SAMMI spec ammo and the unduly high pressures had caused the action to twist..

I'll never buy Savage again regardless of how much they may have improved over the years... :D

That, BS. Savage specifically had their chamber designed as a hybrid 5.56NATO/.223 SAAMI chamber with intent to safely and accurately shoot MilSurp ammo. I don't think it was Savage's decision not to honor the warranty, sounds like your importer...

Archived