ocw testing 308 155 amax

527vamint

Targets

Howa 1500 308 24" stainless varmint 1/10"twist.

155amax Heads

Lapua cases fired 3 times f/l sized

Cci br primers

N140 powder

Tested at 100m

The v bull target is using nato ammo,top group mod was removed,bottom group mod on 6 shot groups.

post-12002-0-31933900-1425233106_thumb.jpg

post-12002-0-58859500-1425233120_thumb.jpg

post-12002-0-18835400-1425233133_thumb.jpg

I can't upload another picture,says file is to big. Basically I did a six shot group that a 2p would easily cover.

So what do I do next. Think my loading isn't quite right. I'm using a rcbs full length die,can I have set it wrong so the neck is to tight.

If you have adjusted the scope whilst shooting I'm not sure you can interpret the OCW test. Did you shoot the groups in round robin format or finish group 1 before doing group 2 etc

I was rushed on this test,the one I did for 155 scenars was correct as in a round Robin. The test pictured was groups of 3 and didn't have time to cool the barrel as much as I would have liked. I had just zeroed the the scope on sat morning with 155 scenars. Hence they where low. I know I should have left the scope,I couldn't resist altering it.

Well,I'd say target 3A 45.7g looks pretty good in context,and merits a couple of 5 shot groups with that load,if it was ok for pressure signs.Try 46 if you really must fiddle.

What makes you think there is anything wrong with the die(s),and how good do you expect the Howa to shoot?

Just shoot a couple of 5 groups carefully-anything else more a wild goose chase,now.

gbal

I will do a new ocw test and start at 45g and go to 47, and do 5 of each increment. I Will make up 5 extra for zeroing from my best results from the last test And see what results I get. I removed the mod just to prove It was OK. I was very happy with the nato ammo and the bottom 6 shot group. I'm just struggling will my loads. I am wanting sub 0.5" group. The howa can do it with factory ammo And £7.50 for 20 nato ammo. Ideally I would like them all through the same hole,but wouldn't we all. Regards the neck tension,I have f/l sized and it felt quite tight when seating the head,well compared to my 223 hornady brass that feels softer than the 308 lapua brass,so I thought I may have set it up wrong. As you can tell I'm on a steep learning curve and I'm doing my best with what I have. Thanks for all the info again.

Cheers Andy

Archived