Stalking/carry rifle

I recently sold my .270Win stalking rifle and I'm now looking to replace it with something more user friendly....

It will be used mainly on Munty, Roe and Fallow, and it has to be light enough to carry around comfortably (8lbs max?).

I'll also want to stretch it out to 500 yards (ish) on the odd vermin and paper session.

6.5x55 first jumped to mind, but then a buddy suggested .260Rem also.

This is a blank canvas and I may have the chance of both long and short action donor rifles to build on.

So....what are your thoughts? Short action v long action. Caliber v caliber etc etc.

As always, all suggestions and advice much appreciated.

If you dont hand load then I would plump for 7-08. You dont mention if your planning on custom route.

If so then the calibre of the moment is 6.5x47. But you will have to reload to make the most of it.

A nice carry rifle and a long range paper puncher/varmint rifle dont really go. A carry rifle would want a shot barrel say 20 inch and fluted to keep weight down. I long range rifle would want a heavy wieght profile barrel and a tad longer. This all adds wieght so in my opinion you need to decide what you really want. Or get two or more................

Like most folks on here.]

all the best

scotch

I recently sold my .270Win stalking rifle and I'm now looking to replace it with something more user friendly....

It will be used mainly on Munty, Roe and Fallow, and it has to be light enough to carry around comfortably (8lbs max?).

I'll also want to stretch it out to 500 yards (ish) on the odd vermin and paper session.

6.5x55 first jumped to mind, but then a buddy suggested .260Rem also.

This is a blank canvas and I may have the chance of both long and short action donor rifles to build on.

So....what are your thoughts? Short action v long action. Caliber v caliber etc etc.

As always, all suggestions and advice much appreciated.

go with what first jumped into mind!! the 260Rem is not bad either, but I can find no reason not to go for the 6.5x55. Sako makes an excellent rifle in the hunter versions and I can carry mine all day, yet still see the hits when I fire it... You know it makes sense!!

best wishes,

Finman

I would go with scotch egg.

Anything you get will be a compromise, why don't you get 2 totally separate rifles set up.

Now you've given us more info it is a different story.

Seeing as you have the heavy end covered I would concentrate on a lightweight short barrel set up in something like 7.08.

I've put a deposit on a Sako 75 finnlight in 6.5x55. 20" fluted barrel screw-cut. I went for this rifle because I wanted something easy to carry even when scoped and modded up, also easy to use in a high seat.

A light but effective rifle was essential for me, also something that was easy on the shoulder. I looked at ballistic tables, recoil charts and everything else that I could lay my hands on. Then talked to people who actually use or build rifles professionally, deer managers, stalkers and paper punchers. Then I begged the use of some that I liked the look of and made my choice for better or worse. I do not load my own, so a caliber that has a wide range of commercial available was a must.

ft

Sounds like you've got some toys to be playing with. I'll assume you will want to go custom and in this case I would personally go for a bespoke caliber. As I love the 7-08 I would go for an AI variant. The 7mm bullet has great bc and is the current british 1000yrd record holder, however in a WSM. I just think a WSM is too much for the uk. Hence my love of the 7-08.

My choice would be:

stiller predator single shot action to keep weight down

22 inch fluted lother walther barrel lightweight sporter profile or 20 if putting on a mod.

jewel trigger

talley mounts/rings

piller bedded into mcmillan sako hunter stock

scope to be decided.

This is my "nice to have" rifle. I just need to find a couple of grand. I love dreaming.

I'll throw a spanner into your works. Forget a bolt altogether! Pick up a TC Encore with a 20" lightweight tube and load it up with either a 260, 7mm-08 or even 308. It will be shorter and lighter than a bolt gun since there is no receiver to add weight and length. My encore with a 24" tube is the same length as my HMR with an 20" tube. From there put a synthetic stock and foreend on it, a set of low scope mounts and a 4-12x40 (or 3-9 if you don't mind lower magnification). You'll be in the 7lb range depending on the scope and you'll have full ballistics power. Or, you can shorten the tube down to ~16" and have a really light and short carry gun.

thanks

rick

Archived