Redding Competition decapping pin adjustment?

I've recently acquired a Redding Competition die set, which includes a bushing neck die.

That die has a decapping pin that I need to adjust a bit longer, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Instructions I have found online have advised me to loosen the grub screw in the top of the micrometer, which I have done, then 'adjust as necessary'. But how do I do that? By unscrewing, or pulling with brute force? I'm keen not to do any damage, so thought I should check before getting the mole grips out.

Take the die apart by unscrewing the black micrometer section from the main die body.Hold the die perfectly upright whilst your doing this and then all the internals will remain within the die body.You will now see the long rod and decapping pin at the end of the rod.Loosen the grub screw in the top of the die and then you will be able to unscrew the rod with attached pin to the desired length,,,,,do a bit at a time,,,lock up the grub screw ,,reassemble the die and test.No force of any kind is necessary to make any adjustments to redding dies..ATB,,,O

Thanks guys.

I did have a look on the Redding website, but found it tricky to navigate so didn't find these instructions.

They too though simply say 'adjust decapping rod length' without explaining how. But now I have taken the die to pieces I can see that the decapping rod screws into the top part of the micrometer, so by unscrewing it will lengthen.

I did read on a U.S. forum that the decapping rod might also be glued in. It certainly won't turn from finger pressure, so even though my mole grips question was tongue in cheek, I do think that I might have to use some pressure to get it unstuck.

Well the decapping rod certainly doesn't want to budge using pliers, so it may well be glued.

Have left oil to penetrate the threads overnight, and if that doesn't work then I'll try the heat gun.

Pretty sure Redding would never have glued this up??? I have handled some dozen or more comp die sets and all completely free of any glue,,,,,,,,something wrong here Guesty,,,this is not normal,,,,,,?,,,,,,O

Well the decapping rod certainly doesn't want to budge using pliers, so it may well be glued.

Have left oil to penetrate the threads overnight, and if that doesn't work then I'll try the heat gun.

Just a long shot, but have you undone the locking ring? This is between the rod and the body holding it.

Mine doesn't have a lock ring, so you may be thinking of a different model?

I did eventually free the spindle by using a heat gun and a pair of rubber pliers.

The threads were fine, so can only assume that they had been glued.

Incidentally, I contacted Redding about my problem and they were very helpful. I explained that I bought the dies second handand also that I was in the UK, but they still wanted to help. They even offered to send the necessary parts to get the die working again completely free of charge.

I'll certainly be buying Redding products in future.

Mine doesn't have a lock ring, so you may be thinking of a different model?

I did eventually free the spindle by using a heat gun and a pair of rubber pliers.

The threads were fine, so can only assume that they had been glued.

Incidentally, I contacted Redding about my problem and they were very helpful. I explained that I bought the dies second handand also that I was in the UK, but they still wanted to help. They even offered to send the necessary parts to get the die working again completely free of charge.

I'll certainly be buying Redding products in future.

Glad your now a happy chap,,,,Its handy sometimes to be able to remove the rod/pin and still size a neck without decapping a live primer.This may come about if you,ve made a load of not so good ammo and want to reload and resize the neck.....o

Archived