CZ to chamber a new old rimfire cartridge

I know this might not mean too much to my UK brethren, but I got a call today informing me that CZ is going to chamber their 452 American and Varmint models in the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum that was reintroduced by Centurion Ordnance here in the States. The 1970 vintage cartridge was dropped from Remington production in 1984 due to slow sales of the high pressure rimfire. Remington only produced rifles for it between 1971 and 1973, adding to it's demise. The original round moved a .2045" diameter, 38 grain bullet at 2075 fps. The new round has a 30 grain bullet that has been clocked well over the 2300 fps advertised speeds. Indeed most I tested averaged over 2400 fps. The cartridge is SAAMI spec'd at 38K Max pressures. The new Centurion version runs in the 30K range. The fact that they are chambering this round in the 452 speaks well of the CZ's strength. I look forward to getting one.

Well. Just an FYI for you folks.~Andrew

I know this might not mean too much to my UK brethren, but I got a call today informing me that CZ is going to chamber their 452 American and Varmint models in the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum that was reintroduced by Centurion Ordnance here in the States. The 1970 vintage cartridge was dropped from Remington production in 1984 due to slow sales of the high pressure rimfire. Remington only produced rifles for it between 1971 and 1973, adding to it's demise. The original round moved a .2045" diameter, 38 grain bullet at 2075 fps. The new round has a 30 grain bullet that has been clocked well over the 2300 fps advertised speeds. Indeed most I tested averaged over 2400 fps. The cartridge is SAAMI spec'd at 38K Max pressures. The new Centurion version runs in the 30K range. The fact that they are chambering this round in the 452 speaks well of the CZ's strength. I look forward to getting one.

Well. Just an FYI for you folks.~Andrew

Thats interesting. A bigger pill moving at nearly HMR speeds. If it came over here it would either die or kill the HMR possibly. Seem to remember reading that the rifles in existence in 5mm are using a smaller and smaller pool of hoarded ammo, but its a `cult` calibre. Perhaps Hornady will up their game and increse the performance of the HMR if the 5 mil takes off and they need to compete.

I've read a bit about this caliber, seemed to die before it got the chance to live, about 5yrs if I'm right. The other day I tried a HMR 17, handy little round, but I don't know if it's for me. But if this 5mm hit the UK market I might just go for it, heavier round hitting 2300fps, buck the wind better than the 17.

Looks like a one for one variation coming off if it does,

BJ.

We,ve already been "tipped the wink" by a major UK wholesaler. This calibre is going to happen, and there is going to be available ammo, from one of the worlds biggest makers. If i tell you anymore....i,ll have to kill you. :rolleyes:

Really interested in this one myslef, would love one but would worry if I bought one in a couple of years ammo might dry up over here if it didnt take off, so think I will sit back and watch before I jump in.

We,ve already been "tipped the wink" by a major UK wholesaler. This calibre is going to happen, and there is going to be available ammo, from one of the worlds biggest makers. If i tell you anymore....i,ll have to kill you. :lol:

Baldie: I'd be surprised if you could tell me anything about the production of this round that I didn't already know. Maybe I should be thinking of offing you?? :blink: ~Andrew

Archived