Reticle levelling tool needed

no most manufacturer's have upto 3 degree allowance on reticle run out ie most are pissed inc leupolds

dont sound a lot but say you level with plumb line and dial ,,,,,then the more you dial for greater ranges the more you dial off and 3 deg is a that which promotes growth and vigour load at long range

now if you plumb the scope according to the turret or underside of turret's flat base (under side of scope) and hold off or over then chances are you will be holding the gun canted and miss for wind

if you intened dialing then level your underside of scope or top side ie ontop of turret with the flat top of the reciever/action that way when you dial the turret you dial up regardless of whether the ret is pissed or not

if you use hold over then plumb the ret line with a plumb line say at the bottom of the garden

the countless scopes I have plumbed in for people have inc leupold,nightforce, a couple of schmit, bushnell,tasco,bushnell etc etc only one out of hundreds was true and that was a bushnell

how you check????? plumb your dialing scope in with a plumb line down the garden, a spirit level on the action to keep the gun straight and move the scope and gun till the scope's ret is plumb with the plumb line,,,,,,now have a look at the spirit level on the action,,, you will be shocked, most of you anyway

dont fear when you are horrified at the results, just decide whether you want to dial or hold over and the re-read above for which set up suits your needs

Feeler guage method works great with flat bottom scopes, easier method is bubble level on action top to get leven then place scope in rings and rotate untill cross hairs are level checked with level placed at 90 degrees to boreline otherwise you get a slight false register .

yeh the slight false run out you mention is retical run out which for most manufacturers is upto 3 degree

thats why if you plumb your ret off the action and `dial' you will dial off

you should choose whether you are going to dial or hold over

if dialing then ignore the ret being off and level action to turret so when you dial you are dialling true and not off

if you are using hold over them plumb action with ret that way when when you are holding over you are not holding off to one side

Hi Silent

I read your post and found it very thought provoking, it sounds very plausable but not sure I want to believe it :blink::lol:

I'll be checking mine out in the very near future, normally use the level and plumb line method. Do I really want to prove my scopes are PANTS ?? :ph34r:

Cheers Steve

Archived