Bushnell 7-15X25 binoes

These are on offer iv seen but not sure if there any good , also been looking at nikon 8X25 similar size etc , im thinking the bushnells might be rubbish ? Any thoughts peeps ?

All zoom bino's are shite! :ph34r:

Although we used to sell an East German zoom binocular that was the best part of a metre long on a tripod.

This was in the late 1980's and it cost in excess of £1k.

I thought at the time it was good, you occasionally see them in the match rifle shoots on Stickledown being used to call the wind.

Mick thanks that was my worry , ill prob end up with fixed power nikon , iv got bigger better 10x40 s but there fairly heavy and cumbersome , crumbs i did have a nice compact pair before but years ago when my dog ran in on a squirrel i was stalking and nearly shot him - accidentally / i hadn't fired btw / 12gauge ! They were in my padded cartridge bag and as i bollocked him i smacked him with the bag ( i don't normally hit my dog ) then realized they were in there , now in two pieces / like two monoculars lol. Atb- tim .

I feel for others reading this thread my reply may have seemed rather short and succinct! :)

Having seen many versions of zoom binoculars over the years they all appear to have a common problem. Namely there inability to remain in collimation over the full zoom range, i.e. they tend to give a double image, usually at the top end of the power range.

My understanding is that this can be overcome with larger prisms, however this would make the binocular too large to be a commercial success.

I still find myself surprised by the increase in optical quality that various manufacturers manage to put into the market place these days. There appear to be more 8x30's that are as bright as many 8x40's were say 5 years ago.

The new Zeiss SF 8x42 is probably the brightest glass I have ever looked through, although you would expect something good for £2k+.

I'm now beginning to think that some products may be getting too bright, or is it my aging eyes......?? :unsure:

I bought a pair of hawke 8x30 a couple of years ago thinking theyl do the job of daytime varminting , they were compact light quite attractive , but at 49.99 i couldn't look through them for more than 30 seconds , they were on the plss . Total rubbish .

Iv seen some nice Redfield 8 x 32 i think , about twice the price but i bet theyl be better - maybe . atb tim

I do have a set of hawke endurance ll 10x40 and there my main bins, good glass , focus nice and sharp enough , bit heavy but prob around the same as other 10x40s . Iv got one of there frontier 4-16x42 25mm body scope on my s410 , now that is nice , turrets are a treat to use .

But those other bins hurt my eyes , so just stopped using them . They could of been just a duff pair tho ...

I do have a set of hawke endurance ll 10x40 and there my main bins, good glass , focus nice and sharp enough , bit heavy but prob around the same as other 10x40s . Iv got one of there frontier 4-16x42 25mm body scope on my s410 , now that is nice , turrets are a treat to use .

But those other bins hurt my eyes , so just stopped using them . They could of been just a duff pair tho ...

My gut feeling is that they are out of collimation and giving you two images; the brain is trying to put both images together and the result is usually a headache! :o

Archived