New calibre choice....

Hi all, my firearms cert is due for renewal and as the long range varminting bug has bitten, I want to add an extra calibre.

Allready have a 22-250, so want to add something in the 6mm or 6.5mm range.

I have short listed down to:

6mmPPC

6mmBR

6x47 lapua

or

6.5x47 lapua

I was set on the 6.5x47, but thought 100gn+ bullets were a bit big for my needs, allthough I have heard of 95gn v-max being used.

The rifle will be used for longrange vermin control and occasional target shooting, I enloy reloading, so I wont mind the work forming the 6x47 from the 6.5x47.

What are your thoughts on these calibres or any other possibilities,

Thanks in advance,

Jinks.

For long range vermin you won't go far wrong with a 6mmBR.

This is my main long range tool and have scored over 10, 500+ yard hits with this rifle, the best last Sunday a bunny at 850yds.

It will shoot bullets from 58-105 gn moderates well and is comfortable to shoot.

I also have a 6.5x47 Lapua it is a fine caliber but is more suited to deer and fox and the odd varmint at 1000yds ;) but not as an every day varminter.IMHO the 6mmBR rules out to 600yds ;)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

What twist are you running in the BR??

Hi Chris, i'm running a 1in8 twist and she is chambered for 6mmBR Norma and throated for 105 bullets although I'm shooting 87gn Vmax for my long range, they seem to be very consistent which is the key to long range.

Cheers

Dave

Hi, I don't want to pinch the thread and I will start another topic if your not happy jinks but how does 243 AI compare to 6mm br.

What are the pro's and cons?

Hi, I don't want to pinch the thread and I will start another topic if your not happy jinks but how does 243 AI compare to 6mm br.

What are the pro's and cons?

hi Eldon,

I am sure users of the 243AI will be quick to extol its virtues, of which I am sure there are many. Nevertheless, I am sure it has more than 33gn powder capacity, less than 1500 shots before the barrell is up for changing and kicks considerably more.

the 6mmBR ROCKS!

- easy to load for (none of the nonsense of fireforming etc),

- easy on the barrel (more than 3000 rounds)

- mild on the shoulder (laugh WSM!!! but you can see your hits),

- moderates to the point it is no louder than my moderated .17HMR (well, the bullet thump is louder!),

- and good to 600 yards or to a 1000 if you have the range and the tools.

- stacks of reloading data and cheap to load for anyway with readily available components (Vmax, Varget, Blitzking, N135, none of these 'exotic').

OK, you have the issue of feeding from a magazine (but a competent gunsmith will solve this) and the fact that you will have to put the gun together (but so you do with the 243AI). But for me, and for a lot of the chaps in the forum I am sure, the 6mmBR is the calibre of choice for both long range varminting and deer (despite what Vim thinks! ;) ). I was in Minsterley last summer, breaking the 6.5x55, and a chap next to me (a very nice chap for that), was shooting a 243AI... Every time he let a round go off, the range rattled!

I am sure the list of 'pros' will increase considerably with contributions from fellow 6mmBR enthusiasts, whilst I cannot the list of 'cons' getting much longer...

Best wishes,

Finman

Two vital points missed....the 6mmbr is a small rifle primer, and its case shape, and long neck, mean the intersection point of ignition, is still inside the case....both very big plus points for an accurate rifle.I,ve got a rebarrelled sako with a 1 in 8" on it, and i,m building another with the same barrel, but this will be a repeater.Its a fabulous cartridge.Long barrel life, and no recoil with a mod or brake on.

Many thanks all,

Looks like 6mmbr it is then, not worried about it having a repeating action but would be a bonus, this chap seems to have it sorted....

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek032.html

I have always liked the AICS stock and know of a cheap 2nd hand remington in .308 to use as a donor rifle. Could be a budget custom rifle in the pipeline ;)

No problems eldon, I did consider a 243AI, but it was the barrel life that put me off, plus I would like to see my own hits through the scope. Also i'm re-barreling my 22-250 soon, so that may be a 22-250AI ;)

Thanks again,

Jinks

As always good info guys.

So the 6mm br is a 308 bolt face thats right isn't it?

What is the preferred bullet weight and twist? Baldie mentioned 1:8 but what weight and speed?

Is there any issue with this round for fox use not whilst deerstalking i.e. lamping, from the police perspective?

What sort of mods are needed for the round to feed from a magazine?

From a donor rifle supplied what would be the likely ballpark figure for rebarreling and modifying the magazine to 6mmbr?

Cheers

On top of what Eldon is asking,

How available is brass?

Is much work involved preparing the brass?

Is there one version of 6mmbr or are there more ?

How likely is it to get the mag to feed well?

edi

On top of what Eldon is asking,

How available is brass?

Is much work involved preparing the brass?

Is there one version of 6mmbr or are there more ?

How likely is it to get the mag to feed well?

edi

ejg223

brass is available readily from all reloading suppliers and gunsmiths. Lapua is Best, but you can also get Remington. If you read www.6mmBR.com, even for competitions they minimally prepare the brass, they advocate just fill it with varget, put an 80gn Fowler and shoot it, you will get a .5 inch 100yd group with a half decent gun. the current 6mmBR is also known as 6mmBR Norma, which is slightly different to the original BR (6mmBR Remington). However all modern versions are likely to be the 6mmBR Norma reamers with a .272 (or tighter) neck.

I have a tikka M590 and it feeds well, I think Remingtons may also feed well too. I know that HS precision conversions do not manage to feed from the mag. Others I am sure will have their own stories to tell.

best wishes,

Finman

ejg223

brass is available readily from all reloading suppliers and gunsmiths. Lapua is Best, but you can also get Remington. If you read www.6mmBR.com, even for competitions they minimally prepare the brass, they advocate just fill it with varget, put an 80gn Fowler and shoot it, you will get a .5 inch 100yd group with a half decent gun. the current 6mmBR is also known as 6mmBR Norma, which is slightly different to the original BR (6mmBR Remington). However all modern versions are likely to be the 6mmBR Norma reamers with a .272 (or tighter) neck.

I have a tikka M590 and it feeds well, I think Remingtons may also feed well too. I know that HS precision conversions do not manage to feed from the mag. Others I am sure will have their own stories to tell.

best wishes,

Finman

Thanks Finman,

that sounds good, now you got me thinking.

edi

Thanks Finman,

that sounds good, now you got me thinking.

edi

No Problem Edi. With the 6mmBR, you don't need to think: it makes immediate sense :blush:

PS: seen what dasherman's selling in the forsale section??? I bet you're thinking hard now!!

best wishes,

Finman

Hi

My 2 cents. I have a 6br pistol and rifle and 22 br rifle and with little case prep they all shoot brilliant.It is the most accurate inherently case I have come across.

Dogfox

Guest varmartin

I have a Remington 700 VLS converted to 6MM BR Norma,1-8 throated for a 105 Amax.

This combination will shoot any bullet from a 58 Vmax to a 107 matchking.

So far the 95 Berger VLD is the best out to 1000 yards and the 75 Vmax for vapourising varmints.

My cases were neck turned to fit the tight neck (.269 ) . about a thou and a bit clearance either side of the neck.

This case filled with 33.5 grains of Reloader 15 will push a 75 grain Vmax out the pipe at 3250 fps :blush:

95 Bergers exit at 3000 fps and stay supersonic out past 1250 yards....what more do you need ??

The new rifle (.243 VLS ) cost me £500 ...which was a steal.

I spent £1100 having a Kreiger barrel fitted, action blue printed, stock relieved , single shot follower fitting and a custom PT&G bolt with Sako extractor and an invisible muzzle thread protector.

I imported my own Jewell trigger for £140 and fitted the action in a very ugly Choate sniper stock ( £130 )

Total.......£1870..yep...at the time it was RPA money, but its not an RPA, it shoots as well as one but is a custom rifle to MY specs........and it shoots frackin awesome.

Would I do it again.........like it was yesterday, but I would stick it in a Manners or Mcslow stock......its on the cards :excl:

As i mentioned earlier, i,m building another for myself at the mo. Primarily it will be for mcqueens, so it MUST mag feed.The hardest bullet to make mag feed in this cartridge is the 105 grain, as its nose heavy.I would reckon the 75 grainers would mag feed easily.Someone put a link up to the AI stocked remmy on 6mmbr, and that feeds flawlessly, with the mag spacer fitted. Making rounds mag feed isn,t rocket science, you need a bit of experience, and a lot of time thats all. I intend to fit a thin spacer at the rear, solely to stop a misfeed in the heat of the moment, when the bolt is sometimes not fully drawn back [happens a lot in competion] thus sitting the rounds a couple of mil forward.Then a front spacer will be fitted to stop the rounds moving forward under recoil, which is what makes life difficult.

I have a remmy l/h custom 6mmbr sat on the shelf, that i finished, and the guy cancelled due to divorce, this feeds varmint weight rounds straight from the remmy internal mag, no bother.

Still thinking......

if one thinks ultra light what should the min barrel length be

before speed drops dramatically. would 20 -22" be ok.?

Would use it for longer range fox and mid range sika sniping.

Would the standard howa drop plate mag feed?

edi

I wanted a long range vermin buster/foxer so opted for a 243ai

i considerd the br as the barrel lasts ages & may even try one next time around!

the big pluss for the AI is its flater then a flat thing:-)1500 shots will last me years!

Hey out of intrest wahts teh barrel life like out of 243ai's if u use 87-100g fodder?

cheers Andy

The more powder you burn, and the higher the velocity.....= shorter barrel life !!! ( usually ) ??

a 87 g amax would be doing 3200 so speed wise this is low but obviosly its got a fair bit of powder so could extend the life of a 243ai maybe?

altho id run em stonking fast if a i could:-)

Andy

Archived