My rifle

Hi folks,

So, I'm hoping to get the chance to bring my Remington VL SS Thumbhole .223 to a gunsmith this summer to get some improvements done. One in particular, to install a Jewell trigger, or take advice from gunsmith on a better/alternative route. Since I'll be getting that done for sure, I'm just wondering what else I should get done to improve my set up. Besides getting someone with a better shot to shoot it :o Sunday was the last day I had it out, best two groups were a 0.5" three shot group and a 0.6" three shot group, both at 100 yards. I had given it a damn good scrubbing earlier that day and it needed a few rounds through it to calm down. Trigger will definately improve it :yes: and me. I'm feeding it 40 grain Hornady Vmax (moly coated).

I hope to apply for a moderator later on in the year. I've to sound out that application process yet so getting it screw cut is an option that's up in the air with me at the moment. Possible recrown job at the same time.

So what else should I be considering for my foxing rig?

Thanks in advance :yes:

John

We do, and the rules have changed lately. A Superintendent can only grand rimfire moderators now, fullbore moderators need to go upstairs to an assistant comissioner or someone like that I forget the exact title. I'm waiting for a couple of months so a few trailblazers can go through the process and then I'll try it myself.

Dealers will sell you a moderator, no questions asked. But, they do this because they know that if you get caught with one, they won't be the ones prosecuted. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I meet the cops out regular when lamping.

There isn,t a better trigger than the jewell, John.Save yourself some Euro, and fit it yourself, it takes all of 5 minutes.

We face and recrown every remington that leaves the shop, and it always helps.

Hi John an aftermarket trigger will only help improve your trigger technique in turn resulting in more consistant shooting, dont waste your money on a Jewel, get a Rifle Basix, half the price and just as good and fit it yourself mate it aint difficult.

A quality re-crown wont harm and may improve your accuracy a fraction, however IMO your biggest accuracy gains will be found in changing to a heavier bullet in the 50-55grn class and keep away from moly its only a gimmick

Ian.

They aint the same Ian. A rifle basix is only safe, set at , at least half way up its weight scale, otherwise it will slam fire.People buy the 2 oz-6oz one, and expect it to work safely at 2oz...it wont, and all the models are the same [we sell them all] i,ve never made a jewell slam fire yet, with any of its springs fitted.

Is it an easy job Baldie? Because I could break soap ;) Recrowning I get, but excuse my ignorance on "facing" it?

I've had action blueprinting suggested elsewhere alright, been told it's quite expensive so I'd need to seriously think that one.

Ian, I've always wanted a Jewell ;) Call me a tart but it's that or no change for me. I've shot the 55 grain Vmax, also moly, and found the 40 grain to be more accurate out of my fox basher. I used moly as I just plain don't like Remmy accutips and suppliers here seem to have Hornady in, and it's always moly so I bit the bullet so to speak and went with it. On the cleaning front I'm using Hoppes Benchrest at the moment, if I could get my grubby hands on some Kroil and JB Bore Paste or Butches Bore Shine I'd give them a go. Heard Kroil and one or other of the other two will do a good job on moly.

John, that rule change is all up in the air at the moment, got something to

do with the 1925 act. Two laws colliding.

Did you bed the rifle yet?

I've got a good trigger on my new rifle now, it is a great help!

edi

Got my Jewell trigger today :rolleyes: Got a set of jewlers screwdrivers and have taken advice to photograph everything before I take it apart incase I make a balls of it lol... Possibly out lamping tonight so I think tomorrow will be self install day :rolleyes:

I can't wait :unsure:

I've shot the 55 grain Vmax, also moly, and found the 40 grain to be more accurate out of my fox basher. I used moly as I just plain don't like Remmy accutips and suppliers here seem to have Hornady in, and it's always moly so I bit the bullet so to speak and went with it. On the cleaning front I'm using Hoppes Benchrest at the moment, if I could get my grubby hands on some Kroil and JB Bore Paste or Butches Bore Shine I'd give them a go. Heard Kroil and one or other of the other two will do a good job on moly.

You dont need to clean very often if you moly, only when acuracy drops off. Then take it back to bare metal, shoot some moly bullets till it settles and your good to go.

What powder did you try the 55gn V-max'e with?

You dont need to clean very often if you moly, only when acuracy drops off. Then take it back to bare metal, shoot some moly bullets till it settles and your good to go.

What powder did you try the 55gn V-max'e with?

Middlestead, whoever gave you the advice not to clean your barrel untill the moly build up starts to effect acuracy, is talking out of his ar$e mate.

John i suggest you ignore that statement of middlestead's if you want to keep good accuracy.

Ian

All the ammo I shoot is factory ammo as I can't reload. So I have used Hornady 55gn and 40gn both Vmax moly coated. I lied earlier, I couldn't wait, the trigger is in and I shot two groups. I'm very very very (did I mention very?) happy :rolleyes: I shot two three shot groups, it was windy. The first group was something under an inch, that was completely my fault as it's a long walk to where I zero and I was carrying all the gear so my heart was thumping which in turn bounced the crosshairs around. BUT, by flippin heck the second group... I had settled down well, three shots, 0.3" according to my calipers centre to centre, still windy. It hink tomorrow is windy and possibly wet so I'm not going to get much of an accurate reading in that. The next fine calm day I'm not working I'm going to take my time and shoot four five shot groups, then we'll see what the story is exactly but I'm very optimistic at this point. It's a sweet dream to shoot with this trigger, the anticipation due to the weight of the Remmy trigger is gone, it's finger on, slight pressure and away she goes. Safe, but extremely user friendly. Best 300 Euro I've spent on anything shooting related so far!

Am using Hoppes Benchrest for cleaning at the moment. If I can get my hands on Kroil and JB Bore Paste I'd like to try them to see what they're like.

Middlestead, whoever gave you the advice not to clean your barrel untill the moly build up starts to effect acuracy, is talking out of his ar$e mate.

John i suggest you ignore that statement of middlestead's if you want to keep good accuracy.

Ian

Could you please explain to me why I'm talking out of my rear end? Also include your vast experiance of shooting/coating/cleaning moly coated projectiles to back up such a blanket statment. Thank you.

Guest wireviz

Jon that s as good as it gets mate i think middlestead is bang on dont fix it if it isnt broke. :blink: About the cleaning imho dont let the molly actually effect acuracy before clean .

John, leave the jb paste where it is.Its uneccesary on a rifle barrel in good order.It really is a last resort if fouling cant be removed. You want a 50/50 mixture of Kroil and shooters choice, both of which can be had from sinclairs.This is the generally accepted cleaner for moly coated bullets. Moly bullets are not a great idea in a climate as wet as Irelands, as water reacts with it, to the detriment of the barrel.

Middlestead,

if you read my post correctly i am not referring to you my friend but if you stand by your ridiculous statement you are indeed talking out of your ar$e as well.

Only a person with a slugs worth of knowledge would suggest cleaning a barrel when the accuracy starts to tail off, whether the bullets are moly coated or not

You obviously have no experience at all mate.

Ian.

Cheers Baldie, I'll try them and see what I can get. I'm very reluctant now to change the rounds I'm using, as they're the most consistantly accurate I've fired through any rifle. I've had plenty of trouble with a different rifle before and I don't want to go chopping and changing and end up back there :D

As for the cancer thing, I don't worry about it. We all die of something sometime. I've seen enough horrible things happen to people who never drank, smoked or had any particular bad habits. Nope, I like my shooting and I'll keep at it regardless :P

I'm reasonably happy with my cleaning regime at the moment. I want to try the kroil though. As long as I keep getting good results I'll stay as I am, if I change and the results change then I'll reverse course.

Cheers Ian, I've downloaded their catalogue and I'll get in touch with them later on today.

Cman, lol, I'm all trail cammed out for the moment. The three I have are sitting here beside me, not much time to be out shooting lately to be honest.

Archived