Cause of Misfire??

AnthonyR

I was helping a friend re-zero his 270Win today and he suffered 1 misfire out of about 20 odd shots, the primer looked normal on the outside, but I pulled the bullet and found this:

IMG_2656.jpg

Not a great pic I know but the powder in the bottom half of the case was a mis-colored greeny, yellowy colour, the powder in the top of the case looked completely normal. The rounds are recently home loaded not sure what the actual powder is and according to him the rifle was shooting well, although I think his definition of well and mine might slightly be at odds...

Not real drama but just interested if anybody could ID the cause, is it a faulty primer or something amiss with the powder.

I would have thought the primer is the culprit here, if it was the powder then surely he would have had several rounds that would have failed from this batch!?

this is uncanny.

had the exact same happen to me on Sunday morning using 25-06 homeload dismantled later

found exactly the same powder used was H4831sc it was discoloured in the base of the case and about 20 or so powder kernels were stuck together

normally very careful whilst reloading in all stages but in this case the brass was wet cleaned the night before and I do think one of the cases had not been dried properly leaving a drop of water in the flash hole pulled the remaining rounds to be on the safe side found no problems, never had a problem with cci primers so putting it down to my brain fart :o

cheers simon

I would put a fair amount of money on it being the primer, (it would have to be out of my monopoly game cus I am skint)

Primers burn at a fair temperature I would have thought that if the primer had of gone it would ignite or show signs of burned powder,

Did you check the primer???

Does he tumble or use a vibratory polisher with crushed media . A small grain of polishing media in the flashole will do this , insufficient heat flash to ignite but enough to scorch the powder.

Does he tumble or use a vibratory polisher with crushed media . A small grain of polishing media in the flashole will do this , insufficient heat flash to ignite but enough to scorch the powder.

Sounds possible/plausible,as only one didn't fire.

We need that primer out for inspection,check if it's fired or not-someone must have loaded it.....so can deprime carefully...surely..?

gbal

Archived