Going on Holiday - ITAR & Rangefinders, Scopes etc....

I'm travelling to Canada and the West Indies shortly and it would be very beneficial to the trip if I could take my PLRF15C with me.

So I called Vectronix USA to see if it could be carried as hand luggage, basically are they allowed as hand luggage and is there any paperwork required to show at customs. I'm not traveling with firearms, otherwise it would be in the peli alongside and I'd rather not put it in a 'normal suitcase' in the hold.

Instead of getting an answer to my question, I have two senior Vectronix employes call me back on the phone and go on about ITAR - in particular how if the unit has any history connected to the U.S. AT ALL I must seek legal council and speak to the state department etc etc. as it's high grade military equipment, requiring paperwork to be moved ANYWHERE in the world etc etc.

They did not however advise on what this paperwork is, other than to give them the serial number of the unit and talk to the state department....Having checked there is no serial number on the outside and I'm certainly not taking it apart to look for one on the inside as they suggested!

Edit: I forgot to add, as far I'm aware my unit was sourced direct from Switzerland, so has no US history if that makes any difference to ITAR?

So is it possible to travel with my rangefinder to Canada & the West Indies and what paperwork do I need to make this possible?

Equally I'm taking some other equipment with me like a 10x Leupold Mark 4, kestrel wind meter and harris bipod - so guessing this also requires paperwork under ITAR?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Tiff

N.B. Now currently waiting for the F.B.I. to break down the door, after the panicky response from Vectronix who weren't far off wanting my mothers maiden name...

This evening I've learnt that it is a lot easier talking to sensible intelligent officials in Canada; compared to those in the US that think the world is out to get them.... The Canadians couldn't have be more helpful and hopefully I'll have a positive answer mid-afternoon Monday.

That being said, any experience on taking ITAR controlled kit abroad on holiday (shooting comps, safaris etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Tiff

Tiff,

If you wind up at RMAS, one of your early learnings will be to not ask questions to which you may not want the answer. ;)

I doubt anyone at an airport would even remotely twig the PLRF as being anything other than 'something optical'; people will only know it's a PLRF if you tell them. Even if they twig it's a rangefinding device, there's no reason for them to make a mental leap that it's a piece of target acquisition kit and not simply just 'another sporting laser'

You've also mentioned two countries other than the US. As I believe ITAR is a US Law, not an international Law, that may not be a concern either. Your concern - if you really think people will twig what it is - is that it's probably categorised as a dual use equipment: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/392470/strategic-export-control-consolidated20141231.pdf

I also suspect you're missing the real point affecting you: If you were to be significantly eyeballed at UK customs, your trouble will come if someone twigs what it is and decides to look really hard at why it has no external serial number.

Im surprised a legitimate unit has no serial number - did you check the provenance when it was purchased,,,?

Ive seen several PLRF15's - all had serial numbers..

As far as travel, personally Id take a pair of bins with me instead of a rangefinder - unless your shooting out there, perhaps obtain or borrow a "non militarised" rangefinder instead.

Ive had no trouble with customs in the US or anywhere else when travelling with my Swarowski LRF.

Im surprised a legitimate unit has no serial number - did you check the provenance when it was purchased,,,?

Ive seen several PLRF15's - all had serial numbers..

As far as travel, personally Id take a pair of bins with me instead of a rangefinder - unless your shooting out there, perhaps obtain or borrow a "non militarised" rangefinder instead.

Ive had no trouble with customs in the US or anywhere else when travelling with my Swarowski LRF.

Sage words

• 2 months later...

In short , as the Yanks are not sensible people , and are unable to apply sensible logic , and as NO one can tell you exactly what is OK & is NOT , leave it where it is , donot travel with it .

Also , something you may NOT have thought OF , is are you transitting thru the US ? , ie your flight stops off in the US to re-fuel or have a break , THEN you are breaking the pathetic US driven ITAR rules , also your flight could be diverted by weather or aircraft problems etc , same result , you are breaking their laws , and it dosnt matter that the law is stupid and dosnt make any sense .

Also , be aware that somethings where NOT ITAR originally , then a yr later re-classified as a ITAR item , ie the PLRF05 terrapin .

Archived