Help required re- wilson barrel

DINGDONG

Good day to one and all and a happy new year, could anyone tell me how many rounds I can expect to be able to put through a Wilson barrel 1-8 twist fluted 20" ??? that is before it becomes now good.

Also how much would it cost to change charging from left to right it is a sgc ar15 speedmaster.

many thanks Ray

Thanks guys its 223 cal and I will be shooting CSR/PRACTICAL RIFLE

I pulled mine off my NRA Service rifle at 3000 rounds as the 600 yard scored dropped off my 10 points. It would still clean 200/300 yards.

We recrowned the barrel, threaded it and put a drilled out A2 flash suppressor on it and sent it to my brother who built a budget quasi-match /service rifle (flat top, round aluminum handguard). On the standard sized 600y target he was getting high 180s, low 190 scores with 55fmjs before he switched to 77s, scores pretty much the same. He managed a 199-12x last time out with Nosler 77gr seconds off a bipod with a 9x hunting scope. He tries shooting from a jacket and sling today :)

I would expect 3000-4000 rounds of good mid-range barrel life, but expect to have go touch up the crown, depending on your cleaning techniques.

It won't do anything like 10 , 000 rounds Mark.

CSR/Practical rifle is very hard indeed on barrels. They spend all their lives shooting rapid 10 shot strings. It shags them in short order.

I change mine at 4000 rounds if they haven't started to go south before.

Shooting 77 grain bullets wears them rapidly.

It won't do anything like 10 , 000 rounds Mark.

CSR/Practical rifle is very hard indeed on barrels. They spend all their lives shooting rapid 10 shot strings. It shags them in short order.

I change mine at 4000 rounds if they haven't started to go south before.

Shooting 77 grain bullets wears them rapidly.

It's always interesting and very subjective barrel wear.

There's a couple of people I know shooting CSR with at least 10k on their barrels. Mind you, they don't win very much, but some days they can pull it out of the bag.

I normally let mine get to 6000, but they are usually past their sell by date by then.

As with many things, a good shooter can see the deterioration earlier, but can always make a bad barrel shoot better than a bad shooter can shoot with a good barrel.

I had one die at 5k once, completely stopped shooting and started tumbling heavier bullets.

I also know a former 2x Presidents Hundred winner in the US, ex All Army shooter, who tells me he will never go to big match such as the US Nationals at Perry with more than 1200rds on a barrel (.223)

2500 seems to be around the point where they stop giving their very best, but you really have to be plotting your scores and performances to keep track of it.

A rebarrel will be at least £550.

The side charging conversion will need more discussion

Archived