Varget 308 loads!!!

foxing2night

that .308 is a great allrounder, even as a kid I remember my father

knocking geese with one.

Good for crows too.

Chris, I've decided to use my mini moderator on the 308 after reading those horror stories

about hearing loss. The 308 is mainly for deer and i never use ear plugs in the field. A full sized

mod is just too much if one walks a bit. I built this 250g 3 baffle mini mod about 3.5" which takes

a bit of the boom away and some recoil. All welded stainless. I have not tested it very much yet, which

means I'll start fresh with the load tests. I found that a moderator might change the grouping of a round totally.

150gr sp remmy's printed 2" without mod and under 1/2" with the a-tec, nice eh

Just busy setting up my 22-250 at the moment anyway.

edi

that .308 is a great allrounder, even as a kid I remember my father

knocking geese with one.

Good for crows too.

Chris, I've decided to use my mini moderator on the 308 after reading those horror stories

about hearing loss. The 308 is mainly for deer and i never use ear plugs in the field. A full sized

mod is just too much if one walks a bit. I built this 250g 3 baffle mini mod about 3.5" which takes

a bit of the boom away and some recoil. All welded stainless. I have not tested it very much yet, which

means I'll start fresh with the load tests. I found that a moderator might change the grouping of a round totally.

150gr sp remmy's printed 2" without mod and under 1/2" with the a-tec, nice eh

Just busy setting up my 22-250 at the moment anyway.

edi

Yep, found the .308 "definitive" on rabbits and magpies. The odd one made the mistake of showing up when I occasionally tested my NRA rifle.

More and more guys are using moderators around here. The Dept of Conservation makes their use mandatory for anyone doing contract work as they don't want ACC (workers comp) issues chasing them down the track. I've certainly heard they can help improve grouping- makes complete sense with the damping effect.

Al I can say about hearing protection is "take it seriously". I see far too many guys, esp deer cullers, who wish they'd used it, and while the latest hearing instruments are very good, there's -nothing- like the original. I accidentally copped a blast from my mate's .308 recently when I forgot to put the plugs back in after lunch. Sure reminded me..

Chris

Varget is probably one the most popular powders in existance. It can also be bloody difficult to get hold of (easier if you pay daft money for it). In a time of famine I bought some IMR4895, this gives more speed with less pressure and quantity required. Gives good groups that are acceptable but can't quite match the good old Varget. Worth a try if extracting the last FPS is your thing.

Reloder, Vit 500 series and Win powders I now avoid as I have been reliably informed that double base powders erode throats faster than single base.

Cheers

Simon

Guest varmartin

I may start using double base powders in my 7.62 08 ( thats what I call it ) so I can burn out the tube and fit a custom heavy barrel. :blush:

Reloder, Vit 500 series and Win powders I now avoid as I have been reliably informed that double base powders erode throats faster than single base.

Cheers

Simon

From all my reading, it seems flame temp is the main variable in throat erosion.

Of relevance to the previous discussion, here's a quote from a tech document:

"Much has been made about ball powders being cooler burning than extruded powders, but the fact of the matter is that there really isn't much difference. Flame temperature is very close to the same for all smokeless powders and runs about 3300 degrees F. Ball type powders tend to be from 3200 to 3300 degrees F and extruded powders tend to run 3300 to 3400 degrees F but there is wide variation..."

Chris

I have had a couple of 308s along with several friends and we eventually standardised on the 150 gr sierra gameking and the 165 palmas, we used std lr primer and 42.5grs of Vit 140 , this wasnt the fastest ( 44grs was faster) but gave excellent accuracy even at 500yds.

Redfox

...we eventually standardised on the 150 gr sierra gameking and the 165 palmas, ..

Redfox

I assume you mean 155 Palmas? Very accurate projectile.

I load 165HPBT Gamekings (which I was given) for my mate's .308. Bit ugly looking with a ragged edge on the HP but they shoot OK and tip reds over very nicely.

Chris

Yes typo Chris, was tired when I wrote that :) Got very good results with the 150gk but the 155 palmas were seriously good. The heavier powder loads ( and we tried them up to the limit) just resulted in bigger bangs and much more recoil and accuracy dropped off, the 42.5 of N140 was sweet to shoot and very accurate, in my rifle it gave 2720fps, in my mates mannlicher it gave 2680fps, so very close, mine was a Rem40x with Shilen 24" barrel. I think the gain in velocity to be fair was the extra length of my barrel, but it was quite a bit better on groups as well, you cant beat a good custom barrel.

Redfox

.. but the 155 palmas were seriously good. The heavier powder loads ( and we tried them up to the limit) just resulted in bigger bangs and much more recoil and accuracy dropped off, ... you cant beat a good custom barrel.

Redfox

The barrel on my (currently unused) NRA gun is a 30" 1in13 Krieger and it's now done over 5000 documented rounds. Was still shooting under 1/2minute when I last tested it but must be on its way out. The borescope shows the expected throat erosion but it's still mirror smooth and has reasonably sharp rifling from 6" onwards. Zero copper apparent.

How's this for contentious cleaning? It's only ever had the following cleaning regimen:

Wrap a rag round a worn .270 cal bronze brush, spread Autosol (a fine German metal polish) over it, give the bore about 4 strokes, wipe out, repeat with about 10 strokes, wipe out and put the gun away. It's pretty much the suggested cleaning from the previous owner of TrueFlite barrels but very few people have been brave enough to persist with it. I find it rather interesting that this supposed abrasive polish hasn't ruined the lands as claimed by many theorists. BTW, I shoot moly projs out of this rifle, not out of any of my sporters.

It's not the treatment I give my hunting rifles which get a slightly more std treatment, namely GM top engine cleaner via a nylon brush followed by Eliminator on a mop if required.

Chris

Funny how certain load recipes keep cropping up.

I used to shoot 44grs v140 with 150 gamekings and they shot well. I then found the 2140 165 hps with 42 grs poor but kept upping the powder and 44.5 grs works great with better groups so I dropped the 150s.

This is in a 700 vs remy with a cut to 24'' barrel.

Best load in aw 308,,,,46.5g Vit 140, 155 scenars, lapua case, Fed 210 primers

44g Varget, 150 nosler, lapua case, rem 91/2 primers

I do not think that it is worth playing with any other loads,, As both of these loads give half inch and below,,,

Not botherd about barrel life as the 308 should be good for upto 8,000 rounds ?? So i have been told,,

These are now my standard loads,,, Now all i plan on doing is going out and play???

It was very interesting to read all your replys,,

I am looking forward to using the ballistic data cards and pushing out to long distances,,,

All the best F2n

155 palmers are that which promotes growth and vigour compared to 155 scenar's

check out the bc's 4 your self

I shoot Lapuas only because of cost, as do the majority of NRA shooters here in NZ.

The BC advantage over the Palma Sierra is in reality only slight, even at 1000yds. When I changed to Lapuas, it wasn't a huge diff in elevation at all.

The Sierra is a very accurate bullet, make no mistake.

Chris NZ

Not botherd about barrel life as the 308 should be good for upto 8,000 rounds ?? So i have been told,,

The benchmark for top accuracy is NRA guns is generally about 5000 rnds. I know various guys who have gone to 8000 and beyond but this is rare.

Obviously how hot you load 'em is a big issue.. Most NRA loads are "up there" to keep the 155s supersonic at 1000.

Chris

Archived