Best calibre for crows, rooks, magpies

Dear All, I want to be able to dispatch corvids at reasonable distance, they are getting a bit flighty round here! I know many folks who swear by their .22lr, a few who have swopped to .17HMR (and like the increase in accurate range from a .22lr, or so they claim), then I have spoken to some keepers who just love the .22 Hornet. I need advice, badly.

What do you all recommend?

FT

Have you got a .22?

If no then you need one so get one. Good cheap and will shoot all sorts and give you good practice.

If yes then get yourself a .22 centrefire, any of them will do 222,223 etc.

Sorted :)

Have you got a .22?

If no then you need one so get one. Good cheap and will shoot all sorts and give you good practice.

If yes then get yourself a .22 centrefire, any of them will do 222,223 etc.

Sorted :)

No mate, still waiting on my FAC. It will be 29 weeks this next tuesday that they cashed my cheque. Have used a .22lr, nothing better for close range bunnies for eating. But our shoot is not plagued by many rabbits (and I'm not that fond of eating them, sorry!), just lots and lots of the black stuff. I want to have quite a bit more effective range than sub's will give, and noise is not a problem. I just wondered what other folks used. As I said, two keepers I have spoken to just love their Hornets, but I have no experience of them or the .17HMR. Cost wise the .22lr is the most sensible option, and I suppose I could use the more powerful supersonic rounds not sub's.

My Larsens are doing well on the magpies, just the rooks, crows and jackdaws to sort now. Ours are nesting, so I am dispensing some lead into the nests regularly. Hopefully my FAC will come before the partridges nest, as they will really need the protection.

Anything you fancy in either .20 or .22 calibers, if you dont reload the .204 Ruger, 221 Fireball, 222 or .223 will all do the buisness to 250 yards or so and give you more accurate reach that an HMR.

A

I have to agree with Alycidon. I was out the other day trying to bag 200 yd + crows with a 15 - 20 mph blustery crosswind. I was using my .17hmr and it was a pig trying to work with such crosswinds at that distance. Had i used my .223, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Go for a centerfire 22, you wont regret it.

.223 Rem ex military ammo is far cheaper than any of the other commercial 22 centerfires and more than adequate to dispatch corvids.

Grant..

The 17 hmr are good for a purpose but any wind as already said makes it hard work.

I have a target which was shot at 150 yds. On it there is 3x 308 holes which drifted about 1.5'' right with the wind. On the same target from the same firing point I used a friends hmr and the wind drift was using nearly the full width of the A4 paper target which is about 8''.

204 could be good for your purpose. All the 22cfs are capable.

Buy yourself a 22 rf and shoot high velocity rounds, get some practice in and then when the bug gets you start buying more guns :) :)

No mate, still waiting on my FAC. It will be 29 weeks this next tuesday that they cashed my cheque.

Hi Flytie

If you have already applied for your FAC you should of already stated calibres wanting to purchase/ aquire otherwise you will already be into either a variation or a 1 for 1 variation. :blink::blink: and me thinks you need to chase them up, 29 weeks is a tad excessive. Everybody has there favourites and all the calibres listed by the guys here will perform admirably, personally as much as I love the Hornet it would not be top of the list for a newcomer due to available bullet weights unless you are going to reload from the outset, and the more limited range compared to other 22/20 cal centrefires

Them there crows become wiser and wiser, so as far as calibre choice for me, it would be the 222 or the 223.

Cheers Steve

Guest varmartin

I shoot the horrible black things with what ever rifle I have in my hands, be it a .22 , .17hmr my 6mmBr or the .308.

Its down to what you feel is a reasonable cost to dispatching one !!

Ask your self what`s better ..a hole in a piece of paper or a whole in a corvid ?

[Hi Flytie

If you have already applied for your FAC you should of already stated calibres wanting to purchase/ aquire otherwise you will already be into either a variation or a 1 for 1 variation. :blink::blink: and me thinks you need to chase them up, 29 weeks is a tad excessive. Everybody has there favourites and all the calibres listed by the guys here will perform admirably, personally as much as I love the Hornet it would not be top of the list for a newcomer due to available bullet weights unless you are going to reload from the outset, and the more limited range compared to other 22/20 cal centrefires

Them there crows become wiser and wiser, so as far as calibre choice for me, it would be the 222 or the 223.

Cheers Steve

Steve i agree it's a long wait. I have contacted the FEO (Mark Hudson), Firearms Dept Head (Chris Himsworth), Assistant Chief Constable T.O. (Peter Wright), Ian Payne Deputy Chief Executive West Mercia Police Authority, my MP Sir Michael Spicer and the firearms dept of the BASC (Mike Eveleigh) who tell me some folks are waiting a year for their applications to be processed. I do not know what else to do!!?!!!

I have applied for a .17HMR and a 6.5x55. But using rifles seems to be like golf clubs with some folks, they have loads. I want to carry a rifle on my keeping rounds that will do the job, not think "Oh, i'll just nip back and change to the .17HMR/.22lr/.22 Hornet/.223"!

I read a piece by George Wallace in which he said he used a Hornet for "smacking magpies", it is also good for foxes (not the best, surely enough) and any other vermin you might come across. I made a choice on my FAC application, but it does not mean I cannot vary it. I worry, that's my problem, and overthink things too probably. Too much time on my hands. Once the poults come I will not have time to worry.

FT

Buy a rangefinder and a good target scope to put on your 6.5x55 :blink:

NJC, I bought a S&B 7x50 from Macleods of Tain that they had on offer which will have to do for the time being. I have also put a deposit on a Sako 75 finnlight (screwcut) from them too.

What rangefinder? Some are fiercely expensive and out of my league unfortunately, can you recommend one?

ft

Like Varmartin I zap a Carrion or Maggie with whichever rifle is in my hands at the time.

Over the years I have shot them with 7mm Rem. Mag., .30-06, .270 etc.

My Carrions are`educated` after years of persecution and never sit near enough for my Rimmy, indeed they often fly off at 200 yards now.

I have been shooting them for a few years now with a Sako HB Varminter .243 but recently arthritis in my shoulders has caused me much pain whilst poking the rifle out of the motor window so I have added a Tikka T3 Hunter .243 to the armoury.

This is topped with an 8-32x50 scope with side parallax and target turrets, crows now look like turkeys and I can dial on more elevation if required.

I have shot 94 Carrions and 8 Maggies with the .243s so far this season.

I took the 12 bore out a couple of nights ago and shot 3 Carrion nests, positive result on two and possible on the other.

By sheer chance when sighted in for my 75gr V.Max. vermin load the rifle shoots to the same place with the 100gr Privi Partisan bullet so I can shoot a Crow or a Roe by a simple bullet changeover.

22-250 :blink:

Ian

Ian, I suppose it stops you having to pick the bird up, I should imagine it's like an explosion in a pillow factory :blink: Just off to look round the Larsens, Might just try some crow nests while I am there.

ft

Unfortunately Flytie your post is a bit backwards thinking as really you should have asked opinions before your application unless you were dead set on your own ideas. We all have our favourites and different perspectives, a bit like with cars and women ;)

What you have asked for will be fine.

However don't forget if you have a change of mind you could use the vacant slot, before you purchase and have a one to one variation free so avoiding the £26 charge.

On the rangefinder front, I bought a Leica and its a good bit of kit. Looked after it will last me forever. Others work but sometimes are let down by poor optics and function.

Unfortunately Flytie your post is a bit backwards thinking as really you should have asked opinions before your application unless you were dead set on your own ideas. We all have our favourites and different perspectives, a bit like with cars and women :lol:

What you have asked for will be fine.

However don't forget if you have a change of mind you could use the vacant slot, before you purchase and have a one to one variation free so avoiding the £26 charge.

On the rangefinder front, I bought a Leica and its a good bit of kit. Looked after it will last me forever. Others work but sometimes are let down by poor optics and function.

Eldon, I never said I was sensible :lol: I blame it on the wait for my FAC, it's driving me craaaaaaaaazzzzzzzyy ;) But it is very interesting to pick peoples brains that have "been there done that"! It is seemingly possible to justify having every caliber going. I would also love a .416 Rigby (double rifle, of course), something big for pigs etc. etc. But I have tried to satisfy the FEO that I am relativly sane and have applied for rifles applicable for what i can actually do on my lease. I have also tried to keep somewhere within the bounds of my overdraft limit :blush:

ft

ft

Archived