GS Custom Load Development

Ronin

Thanks for such a detailed report. I've been following the GS story for some time and this encourages me to order some to handload for my 6.5x55 or perhaps for my new 22-250, once I get dies etc for it.

Thanks for the detailed report. I'm a bit baffled with the trajectory that allowed the bullet to end up in the rumen. The placement of the shot (if I'm reading the picture correctly) was high and forward in the chest (perfect as far as I'm concerned). Was it the ribs that forced the bullet to go backwards and low? Might it had been that a heavier (for size) bullet had kept the shot trajectory?

Best wishes

Finman

Finman,

After having a 308 SST doing a 90* turn in a hind (in low behind the shoulder, out just above the clavicle/ low neck) I think there's a load of things fighting against a good through shot. My best bet is that once expanded the new shape of the bullet and density of what it's passing through can easily lead to a change in direction. I've not had any strange changes of direction from copper solids, but I'm yet to get something big with the 260 rem. My last 308 solid took a staggie, broke a rib on the way in, demolished 2 - and 2 ribs on the way out. That was a 'light for calibre' 130 gr TSX at close range, up a steep series of ledges.

Animal was slightly elevated (about a foot below bore),

Coming towards me - on limestone pavement - I was in a slight hollow - standing.

Right hand of base neck- entry wound, animal ever so slightly facing to my lefts bullet travelling towards left rear side of hip (if you can picture that in plan view)

Side view is easier,,,,:

UnsavedPreviewDocument_zps04edebcb.png

Got it, thanks for the clarification :) there's no doubt funny things happen when the bullet enters the body, I was just curious, particularly as I made the assumption the shot was,taken with the animal broadside (and we know what we think about assumptions...)

All the best

Finman

• 2 months later...

Archived