6.5 x284

Guest wireviz

Guest wireviz

Looking for some load data if any of you lads have it for a 129 grain sst through a 6.5x 284 case with . vv n560 or n 150 or any other good recipes

The 6.5X284 is certainly an effective dear calibre. Bit over kill as far as Roe are concerned though.

I thought you were dead set on your 6.5X55? ;)

Not at all.The 284 loaded correctly doesn`t do any more damage than the 243

The 6.5X284 is certainly an effective dear calibre. Bit over kill as far as Roe are concerned though.

I thought you were dead set on your 6.5X55? ;)

Overkill? Are you on drugs, its got to be one of the most affective calibre for Roe.

There is many great cals form 222 to 308 & there on as got as the twit behind it. I quite fanncy the 6.5x284 just to be diffrent up here. Would love to play with one on a season at the hinds.

Guest wireviz

[Curry i love my rifle it suits my needs being old and frail i need a light rifle but my mate has decided to go down the road of a rebarrell and has chosen the 6.5x 284 so if any has got data i am sure he would be gratefull.

The 6.5x284 is a great cartridge. Completely wasted on woodland deer stalking. If you arent gonna be taking regular 400-500 yard shots, you are wasting it, and the old warhorse 6.5 swede would be a much better bet.Reason? barrel life. The 284 was meant as a long range "f" class round.

If you want a real deer stopper [in theory] have a look at the 7mm-284.A mate of mine was shooting 9" groups with his, at a 1000 yards last weekend, and the barrel only had 10-20 rounds down it. That calibre wont burn out in 1500 rounds, as its not overbored, and i would imagine it has plenty enough "guts" to drop any deer in this country.

Guest wireviz

Baldie it is allan that wants the rifle he is getting dasher man to build it . While i am sure your right about the 6.5 it isnt my call and i am sure it will get used at distances beter suited to a .222 but hey its his cash . tHE THOUSAND ROUNDS WONT BE A PROBLEM TO A DEER STALKER MINE WOULD LAST ME TEN YEARS WITH THAT AMOUNT :lol:

Well, i'm on 3000 rounds with mine and it still shoots half minute of deer groups (and lots of deer as well) :lol:

The 6.5x284 is a cal that im keen to try for next & done a bit looking into it & at some point i would like to start doing longer range paper punching too. I think it would be a waste on me as i wouldent use 70% of its potentual but would be a nice diffrent toy. I have heard that yes its a barrel eater but this is down to certian powders ie H4831 & many shot strings at one time & burns the throat out. These points are over looked on the 6.5x284 & i hope to own this cal as a diffrent deer rifle as well as a paper/vermin toy & cant wait for the day.

It doesn,t matter what powder you feed this calibre, the simple matter is, its overbored, and thats what burns out throats. The yanks have shot it to death, and come up with no answer. You have to accept at 800-1200 rounds it will no longer be accurate enough for serious competion work.It will set back sucessfully however, but no point doing it at 1500 rounds. This is not to say it shoudn,t do at least 3000 rounds on deer however.A target shooters "shot out", and a deer shooters "shot out" are two entirely different things.Barrels are commodities, like bullets, powder etc. There is no point in buying a ferrari, and driving it like a grandad is there?

Archived