Neck / bullett run out

hughes.s

This is a question for my personal knowledge only, I have no intension of changing my reloading regime, I can produce ammunition to cover my shooting situations.

I have been playing with a RCBS case master I have modified it :o to suit my needs. I am certain the results that I obtain are true and repeatable. Useing a Lee full length die in a Redding Big Boss press (to move the Headspace length to suit my rifle) I can obtain a neck run out of .001, seating the bullet using a Lee Dead Lenght Seating Die in a Lee press I can obtain a bullet run out of .002 and the neck is still .001.

This is the bit I can not get my head round, to me that means the inside dia of the neck is out of true to the outside dia, ( I do not have a finger indicator to check with) so if I were to neck turn I would make the outside dia true to the inside dia, but that would put the outside dia out of true on the Casemaster ?, which would put the bullet out of line to the rifle bore.

What am I missing?, am I wrong with my third paragraph,or do I need to get out more, as I said purely technical question.

Hughes.s

If you neck turned to an equal neck thickness all the way round yes you would put the outside diameter out of true,,,,,,,,THEN,,,,,fire form the case and run the measurements again and if you have been accurate with your neckturning you will see only a tenth or two of runout presenting on the bullet runout and as long as your chamber is cut to dead nuts then you should see nil runout on your neck. You have to fireform your cases. Regds ,,,,O

" if you were to expand first it would push all high spots to the outside.then i ream the inside at the same time as turning the out side".

And pigs might fly.

Must I remind you again I am a fat idle sob, to much like hard work that mi duck.

It"s a good job I can call foxes to 40/47 yds, so I do not have to go to those extremes,

Hughes.s

" if you were to expand first it would push all high spots to the outside.then i ream the inside at the same time as turning the out side".

And pigs might fly.

Must I remind you again I am a fat idle sob, to much like hard work that mi duck.

It"s a good job I can call foxes to 40/47 yds, so I do not have to go to those extremes,

Hughes.s

well do it sat in a chair with a coffe and a fist full of doughnuts.

Archived