Crows and rabbits - best long range calibre (500 yards) - .223 or .204

Crash72

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to experiencing that big grin gunner!

You`ll love your .204 I think ! You`ll also find things are a lot harder to hit at 400 yds than 200 ,no matter what you throw at them.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Hi why not try a 30cal way a 215 hybrid will out shoot the lot. Wind drift 500yds 10.75 inches bullet drop 30inches as gbal says long range hits on small targets are rare if you are looking at first shot kills , if your range is out by 10yds means .250 moa extreme spread alters elevation most shoot without a spirit level 1degree at 1000yds 5inches thats just a few.if you were to try and hit a target of 5inch way a 223 way a 80grn first shot your wind reading would have to be spot on as a 1mph would move the bullet around 2inch the 30 cal would move 1inch not hard to see the benifit,

I smile every time i hear novice LR shooters tell us what they intend to do, "Yeah im going to use it for crows and rabbits out to 400 yards, maybe stretch it to 500," as if its second nature for them.

They make it sound like they have been doing it for years and its the norm to connect with targets at those distances, their unfounded confidence in their ability makes it sound easy.

Connecting with a crow or magpie at 400yards is an applaudable shot even for an experienced marksman and is not easy at all.

However novices have to start somewhere and all i can say is dont become disheartened when you are not hitting like you thought you would, pactice and practice then practice again, keep at it and remember what you are doing.

Refine your reloading technique, study the wind and how to read it, get your range estimation spot on and know your rifle, when all this comes together and you connect with your target its very rewarding and worth all the time put in

Ian.

I smile every time i hear novice LR shooters tell us what they intend to do, "Yeah im going to use it for crows and rabbits out to 400 yards, maybe stretch it to 500," as if its second nature for them.

I'm not sure a smile is the correct repsonse.

Do these guys expand ok for vermin at long range?

If they are anything like the 75gr bthps there should be no problems with expansion at all. I use the 75s out to 700 yards and the hit a lot harder than the 53 gr vmax which I also use.

Archived