What I did with my Foxpro

Decided to make a couple of alterations to the foxpro,

Removed the battery pack (which can still be used) and connected to a 6v 10ah battery from an old lamping kit (the other one is now connected via jack plug to my trail camera) to allow use with an additional speaker and when time allows I'll rig up a decoy to run off it also

2014-11-30160308_zps1f40e9d2.jpg

I needed to file a slight groove to allow the cover to be refitted, but its not noticable when the leads are removed.

2014-11-30160334_zpsf2e35570.jpg

The battery, caller, addtional speaker, remote, small tripod and original batteries all fit nicely into a spare respirator case (the battery and speaker fit nicely in the spare cannister holders, the caller inbetween and the other bits into the combi-pen section) which is comfortable to carry and if need be can run while inside to give some weather protection.

2014-11-30160210_zps9d119f40.jpg

And thanks to the excellent "jack rabbit distress" call here is the latest winner of the 53gn Vmax competition (Tikka back in the laminate until I make a better cheekpiece for the Choate)

2014-11-30155812_zps83af6053.jpg

The load is 53gn Vmax using Elcho 130 (RS52 I think) 37.2gn

Great mod, I've had a few foxpros now and I find that the battery charging is the biggest pain. I would have thought by now they would make them so you can just plug the charger into the caller rather than having to pull the batteries out every time!

yes the fox pro range and recharging are its only drawbacks

it would be good if they would make them with longer range so that it is harder for a fox to work around you and get your scent

i normally recharge my batteries after every time it has been used

if i don't do that it has a habit of running out just when i need it and a lack of power effects its range

wondering if the new icotec callers are better?

Ray

Archived