RPA Rebarrel

onehole

Neil Mckillop has recently rebarrelled my 6BR.I went for a custom 269 neck with a shorter than normal freebore just to get some of those heads that tend to poke out a bit just a tad further down the neck..Barrel was a Bartlein 5R cut 8 twist HV and finished off by one of Neils crafted muzzle brakes.Once cases were formed a second trip to the range today with some vit135 loads under 90g Bergers.30g,s 5thou off went very well and here,s a few groups,,,,,,,,Thanjk you Neil for doing such a superb job for me,,,,,,your a top man,,,,,,,,0090ae9c-1844-4e4e-a292-d02d4b9f2959.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0105-1.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0086.jpg

Very nice. What round count did the old barrel have? 6mmBR isn't too hard on barrels?

Toby,,,it used to be a 223 RPA ,,,,,,decided to go 6BR for all my shooting.The 223 boltface can be opened on an RPA bolt quite successfully,,Neil did an immaculate job of that bit as well,,,looks just like it was always that way and functions perfectly.I,,,,,round count on BR,s,,,well Ive shot out two in the past and I think both went at around 3 to 3.5k rounds,,,oh and there was another one that went in about 2k after playing around with moly,,,,never again !!!!

Would just like to add these groups were shot at 100meters off an old Bald Eagle rest on an old wooden bench doh!! oh!!! for some concrete benches this rifle would do low one,s and two,s with five shots I.m sure,,,,,,O

O - hi , the 269 neck what does your loaded neck measure , just sizing up what the clearance is ? Im in process of niel doing a 6br , ill be using lapua brass and probably wont bother turning the neck , cheers tim.

Whats your barrel length onehole ? Cheers

O - hi , the 269 neck what does your loaded neck measure , just sizing up what the clearance is ? Im in process of niel doing a 6br , ill be using lapua brass and probably wont bother turning the neck , cheers tim.

Cases are turned to produce a loaded neck measured at .267 ,,,,barrel length is 26" which includes chambered portion.

Cases are turned to produce a loaded neck measured at .267 ,,,,barrel length is 26" which includes chambered portion.

Seems niel has a 269 nk ( and about 3-4 others ) , 104 F-Bore so will probably go with that to suit the 105 amax but will have to turn a thou or so off . You bought the reamer for your build ? Cheers O - tim .

Yep,,,Neil probabaly has a few reamers and 104 being suitable for the long and deep seating Amax. I did buy my own reamer through Neil more of an experiment than accepting the norn as I also favour shooting some lighter heads now and again and was seeking a deeper seating compromise,,,,I nearly went for a 80 FB which is probably what I should have chosen but lots of reads on the net also supported a 60FB.In practice the 105 Amax with this reamer sits only just above the shoulder junction at 5 thou off lands,,,,bit too close to possible doughnut but do not have problems at the moment as I made sure I cut quite generously into the shoulder on neck turning.

If I were to do this over again I would definitely spec an 80 fb.,,Good luck with your build,,,,if you want to play with 60FB,,,,?,,,your welcome to use my reamer,,,I could send it up to Neil for you,,,ATB,,,Onehole.

Aaww , thanks for the offer and info , im pretty set on the 104 fb cause iv got 105s on the way . But will try to get some 87 Vmax too . ill have to turn em the same , did u have to trim your brass to leangth ? Or was it pretty uniform from the box? ( assuming it was new brass ) iv just got 200 lapua - there a funny looking case a bit shorter than i imagened ! I sat a 243 case next to it . Ovbiousley shorter but the shoulder angle was allot steeper like an ackley i thought . Anyway atb with both yours they are 2 ace guns you got ! ;) -tim

Onehole, that looks a really nice rifle, but then I wouldn't expect anything else from Neil Mckillop. His work is second to none. I would recommend his work to anyone. It's nice to see a rifle without spray paint on it too.

Onehole, that looks a really nice rifle, but then I wouldn't expect anything else from Neil Mckillop. His work is second to none. I would recommend his work to anyone. It's nice to see a rifle without spray paint on it too.

+1 on the cracking looking rifle and also Neil's workmanship. He has just done the borden rifle for me in my avatar and to say I am extremely pleased is an understatement!

Thanks Borden,,,actual; finish is Hydrographics gold carbon weave and lots of lacquer,,,,ok but not best for long term wear but looked after its not too bad. Yep,,,Neil has looked after me for many a build now and I just stick with him.Equally good othert smithy,s on here for sure but guess we all have a following for one or the other.Russ Gall done my original rebarrells on my RPA,s another superb engineer...Love the work done by Dave at Valkyrie too ,,,seen and shot some,,,superb!!.....Would love to have a true custom built one day but cant help thinking my tricked up RPA,s would still keep up and that's why they just keep getting rebarrlled ......O

Archived