Finally zeroed 17 Rem with new moderator

Finally managed to zero the fox rifle ready for the winter, when it arrives........

Sako 75 Varmint, McSwirly stock, 20" barrel ,18x1 Hausken SD 228 17 cal moderator.

Very impressed, no P.O.I change from 24" to 20".

Some pics from today. My private 45yd range :)

20141116_113035_zpse554f1d4.jpg

20141116_113023_zps113485ed.jpg

20141116_111819_zpsea38912d.jpg

Very nice-what load for the .17 Toby?

That is my standard 23 grains N150 with either Hornady or Berger 25HP. Not lightning fast but normally very accurate.

I tried some loads with N135 as well but hit pressure signs at 22.5 grains.

Tried to chrono some loads but the chrono wasn't playing ball.

I loaded up 21 21.5 22 and 22.5 (I also saw that book max was 22.8)

Only shot one round of each load. Was going to chronograph it and compare with Quickload but chrono wasnt playing ball. Top load gave extractor mark on head. 22 was ok. Shot to pretty much same poi as my other loads.

I loaded up 21 21.5 22 and 22.5 (I also saw that book max was 22.8)

Only shot one round of each load. Was going to chronograph it and compare with Quickload but chrono wasnt playing ball. Top load gave extractor mark on head. 22 was ok. Shot to pretty much same poi as my other loads.

OK,thanks Toby.

At those velocities,or anywhere close,which it has to be (Vhitavuorii do it!) I'd not be concerned about chrono-group,yes.

Given the 'has to be ball park',holes on paper are the data (assuming safe).

Nice set up,by the way-is there an icy pool to plunge into,if the group size is ....err close to zero? :-)

OK,thanks Toby.

At those velocities,or anywhere close,which it has to be (Vhitavuorii do it!) I'd not be concerned about chrono-group,yes.

Given the 'has to be ball park',holes on paper are the data (assuming safe).

Nice set up,by the way-is there an icy pool to plunge into,if the group size is ....err close to zero? :-)

I was really just wanting to chrono so I know roughly speed. I chronoed factory 25 Hornady HP to avg 3966 fps in my barrel when it was 24". I never chronoed the 23 grain N150 load but know that it's slower. Be interesting to see what the 20" tube gives. I had hoped to chrono both that load and the N135 load in steps to compare to Quickload.

The lake is 150 yds down the hill :)

That is my standard 23 grains N150 with either Hornady or Berger 25HP. Not lightning fast but normally very accurate.

I tried some loads with N135 as well but hit pressure signs at 22.5 grains.

Tried to chrono some loads but the chrono wasn't playing ball.

that seems an unusual choice of powder for the .17 Toby-my recipe is 24,2 gns n135 -20vmax-4250fps used this loaqd for a lot of years and 20 vmaxs.,

what or who put you onto the n150?i use it in my 6br with 108 bergers.

That is one of the official recipes from Norways nr 1 shooting journalist called Jørund Lien. In collaboration with 2-3 other pals he started a reloading how to manual in the early seventies. It is now on its seventh edition with over 100 rifle cartridges and the usual handgun cartridges as well.

He is an advocate of using the slower powders here possible to avoid pressure surprises. The book contains mostly Norma/Vihtuavori powders data as until recently that was what was most available.

His load for N150 was 22-23 grains.

Google ladeboka and you will see.

I also have read that N135 and H/IMR 4320 are also standard powders in the 17 Rem.

That is one of the official recipes from Norways nr 1 shooting journalist called Jørund Lien. In collaboration with 2-3 other pals he started a reloading how to manual in the early seventies. It is now on its seventh edition with over 100 rifle cartridges and the usual handgun cartridges as well.

He is an advocate of using the slower powders where possible to avoid pressure surprises. The book contains mostly Norma/Vihtuavori powders data as until recently that was what was most available.

His load for N150 was 22-23 grains.

Google ladeboka and you will see.

I also have read that N135 and H/IMR 4320 are also standard powders in the 17 Rem.

Archived