any ideas lads?

nuttyspaniel

Funny old game this !

I have never used magnum primers in standard cases, never neck-turned my brass, never noticed carbon build-up or whatever it is in any of the many rifles I have had in my 57 years of highly successful stalking and shooting.

Also I have a very,very high kill/cartridge ratio, but then I do not take pot-shots at stupid long range or `trick-shots` at any range and always use `enough gun`in the words of the late Robert Ruark.

HWH.

Funny the responses your getting nutty about magnum primers.

I was told quite a few years ago to use magnum primers with ball powders (BLC2) and I have done this with no problems. This was in a .222.

If I remember correctly it use to state magnum primers in the Hodgden booklet with certain powders.

Are we saying collectively that magnum primers should not be needed or used in non magnum rounds? :lol:

I have a Hogden booklet here in front of me and magnum primers are rarely mentioned.

Starting with 17 Rem. there is no mention of a magnum primer until we get to the 6.5mm Rem.Mag., followed by the 7mm Weatherby Mag. and 7mm Shooting Times Westener.

Even the .264 Win. Mag., .300 Win Mag and .300 H&H Magnum do not merit the use for one according to this publication.

HWH.

P.S. Their max. load of BLC2 for the .222 is 25gr with a 50gr bullet and Winchester SR [standard] primer.

Funny I had the same thing happen to 5 rounds out of 27 on Monday while out shooting some long(ish) range bunnies, odd all were loaded the same and from the same brass, came home through the bass and will start again with new. :lol:

Guest Sundance Kid
I have a Hogden booklet here in front of me and magnum primers are rarely mentioned.

Starting with 17 Rem. there is no mention of a magnum primer until we get to the 6.5mm Rem.Mag., followed by the 7mm Weatherby Mag. and 7mm Shooting Times Westener.

Even the .264 Win. Mag., .300 Win Mag and .300 H&H Magnum do not merit the use for one according to this publication.

HWH.

P.S. Their max. load of BLC2 for the .222 is 25gr with a 50gr bullet and Winchester SR [standard] primer.

What dates your hodgdon booklet Hubert there is no mention of primer types at all in my 1997 one

Thats interesting stag as I was typing earlier from memory but remembered a star signifying a magnum primer in my literature. So I have just had a look through and as you say the hodgden manual ( mines 2002) doe's not specify magnum primers. The Lee leaflets which come with the dies doesn't either. Then I found it.

Look in the Speer manual number 13 and there is magnum primers dotted about all over.

222,223,22-250 etc :)

Why would speer use them and nobody else?

I have just looked at my No.10 Speer book and it is the same.

Some people take their kids to school in a huge 4x4 when a Mini would be more economical and sensible.

It is the same with re-loading, max. charges and max. pressures have never given me the most accurate load other than in ONE rifle, a Vom Hofe Super Express 5.6x61 .

TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::P

Ive found the prob well it looks like it!!!! Over the last few nights Ive been using the RCBS Precision Mic and freebore tool to check my chamber length!! All my loads were .025 over length compared to the mics reading, but I couldnt fathom out why a candled round fed it into the chamber didnt show no sign or marks of the lands!!

I made another dummy round candled it and fed it into the chamber it read .03 longer than the freebore tool's reading!

I remembered I had 4 rounds made from the original batch so I popped them into the mic, they were spot on in length compared to the freebore tool reading!! I then noticed the mic was measuring around .03 longer of the the lands marks which were clearly seen on the sooted head as was the mics ring mark which also showed up!!

My conclusion is for what ever reason my loads have crept up it length so whilet they were not touching the lands the were not too far away if not just kissing them! These loads were .06 longer than the 1st batch, well thats if my maths are correct!! So instead of .03 short they were .03 long!!!! ;):o:P

So what locking collars have you got on your dies?

I changed all mine to the Hornady/ lyman ones with the allen locking screw to avoid such movements ( £3.00 each)

If this isn't the reason where has the movement and so extra length come from?

Archived