what a difference

tony

Had a new 6.5x47 barrel 1-81/2 twist fitted to my m595 a while ago so immediately purchased some varget powder and the mandatory 123gr scenars, can't go wrong with this combination me thinks!! Well guess what?

After fireing 300 rounds trying to find a good load and failing miserably would not group below 1/2 inch at 100yds, believe you me I tried everything, well by this time you could say that I was getting rather pi---d off so a quick word with the gun smith and he advised me to try some 123gr A-max! Well WHAT A DIFFERENCE, have fired a total of 25 shots today and have already reduced groups below 1/2 inch at 100yds, just a bit more tweaking for fine tuning and that's it.

I find it strange that the combination of varget and 123gr scenars did not work in this rifle as most do work well in this calibre?

I'm planning the same varget and 123gr amax :)

Care to share your load data so far

Gaz

No probs Gaz, started off from 37.0gr going up to 38.0gr in increments of 0.2gr, bullet seating 10 thou off lands, so far 37.8gr load is looking very good, sub 1/2 inch cluster at 100yds, have now loaded another 5 rounds and increased the bullet seating to 25thou off lands, will try these tomorrow and see if there is any improvement, tbh I am happy with the load as it is but am interested to see the result.

Between 37 and 38 seems to be the area to work

Cheers Gaz

Keep me up dated

Loaded 5 more rounds at 37.8gr but increased bullet seating to 25 thou, not a lot of difference really, slightly bigger group, the wind however was pretty strong so that did not help!

Next on the agenda is to load up 10 rounds at 37.8gr, 10thou off lands and see how they perform at longer range.

Have you started your loads yet Gaz?

I've got three rifles in 6.5x47 and they all perform superbly with the 123 grain bullet, both SMK and Lapua. They all also have one other thing in common, they shot crap until 300 rounds had gone down the barrel. After the 300 round barrier the groups narrowed considerably. Why this is I do not know but other shooters of this calibre have found the same thing.

That's interesting Brillo, maybe that's why mine has not done so well until now, I have given up on the 123gr Scenars for now but will try them again when I have used up my stock of 123gr A Max.

How many more people have experienced this???

The 47 can be finicky to load and get shooting Tony - as per discussion - some 8 twist barrels just don't like the 123's - they are few and far between, yours appears to be one of them.

It happens.

Your getting sub 1/2 moa now which is good for a factory actioned rifle.

You may get better with 120 pro hunters or 120 SMK?

Sounds like you may be at the limit of achievable accuracy with the rifle now..

Hi my 47 shot great from the word go. I looked the net months in advance for data etc & had Varget for other rifles but got H4350 & 123g A-Max & at 85thou of lands shot 1/4". I load them now at 10thou off lands with 41.4g of H4350 & cci 450 primers. I tried Varget as I ran out H4350 & for the first time in my life Varget failed me no matter what I tried. I got more H4350 so am ok for not now but have had very good results with N150 with 130g VLD with less than .2 for 3 shots at 100m. The 123g A-Max was also very good with N150 but can't believe that Varget wouldn't work for me well it did do 3/4" so not bad but I know what this rifle can do. It's a borden alpine in an h-s stock skim bedded & built by Grant Taylor

Loaded 5 more rounds at 37.8gr but increased bullet seating to 25 thou, not a lot of difference really, slightly bigger group, the wind however was pretty strong so that did not help!

Next on the agenda is to load up 10 rounds at 37.8gr, 10thou off lands and see how they perform at longer range.

Have you started your loads yet Gaz?

Rifle should be ready this week :)

Just got to go pick it up then

Cheers Gaz

Get my .260 this weekend too gaz. Can't wait been over a year in waiting not on anyone's part but my own, but I can't woaitmto see it finished.

I will look forward to seeing it ;)

Gaz

Archived