.357/38 reloading thoughts

Shootist

I have just acquired a Rossi .357/38 single shot break barrel rifle and could do with a few hints on reloading for it. I've put a thread elsewhere for subsonic loads and sound moderators but I would also like to get some info on 'normal' shooting for target work.

The rifle looks to have a 30" twist rate on a 23" barrel. Most of the load data around seems to be for pistols but there are suggestions that in a rifle barrel of any length a slower powder, and possibly a lighter bullet might be better. The thoughts of the cognoscenti would be appreciated. (Please don't suggest selling the rifle. I got it at a knock down price and it's fun. I quite like it)

I feed my Marlin lever action 5gn Unique, 158gn wadcutters (I think...) and a CCI pistol primer for superb accuracy and little noise and recoil. Purely for target purposes and got the load from the Alliant manual

Best wishes

Finman

Everyone where I shoot seems to use 158gn RNFP, or similar home cast in one of the lee moulds, and GM3 powder, because it is available from the club shop at about half the price of anythihng else!

I haven't had great results with Hannams bulk lead bullets, not as good as factory jacketed or lead, but they work ok for the targets we shoot, 2.7gn GM3 is very pleasant to shoot, about 700ft/s with very low noise and recoil!

I feed my Rossi M-92 .357 a Lyman #358-156 loaded to the bottom crimp groove in 38 special cases. The load is 12.0 Alliant 2400. If I'm using a 357 case, I load the same bullet over Lil Gun. Hi speeds, low pressures. Both are very accurate. The Alliant load is also the most acccurate 357 revolver load I have ever shot.~Andrew

Everyone where I shoot seems to use 158gn RNFP, or similar home cast in one of the lee moulds, and GM3 powder, because it is available from the club shop at about half the price of anythihng else!

I haven't had great results with Hannams bulk lead bullets, not as good as factory jacketed or lead, but they work ok for the targets we shoot, 2.7gn GM3 is very pleasant to shoot, about 700ft/s with very low noise and recoil!

I've been useing similar for years.

158gn TC(truncated cone) in a PPU 357mag case pushed by 3.5gn of GM3 and a small pistol CCI primer. OK for upto 50mtrs.

The TC's feed better through my Marlin.

Archived