Electronic scale and powder dispenser

Hales Smut

New to reloading. Have done some reloading with help from a friend and using his gear. RCBS gear 10-10 scale , manual powder dispenser,.......... Seems rather slow to do. I had watched Thomas Haugland's youtube clips before. He uses the Lyman gen 3 and gen 6 electronical scale and powder dispenser. Looked around on the net and see similar units by Lee and RCBS.

Are they worth the money ? Are they reliable/safe ? These Lyman's seem very easy to use on the video's. I want to use them to reload for hunting and training ammo. I do not do any competitive shooting. I use Ramshot Hunter powder for my present calibres. ( 243 / 7x64 )

I don't have any reloading gear, so have to start from zero. The Lyman Gen6 sells for about 280 euro here, the RCBS scale 10-10 for about 195 euro. So the initial cost would be about equal. The RCBS Chargemaster is indeed a lot more expensive. Also better quality?

Keep your beam scale and buy a target master trickler. See here for more info:

I have no connection with target master.

http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

Definitely this. My target master is my favourite thing after my guns.

Loads bang on every time at the push of a button with non of the worry of whether your electronic scale has gone out of calibration due to temperature or mood or sun spots.

Keep your beam scale and buy a target master trickler. See here for more info:

I have no connection with target master.

http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

Good advice, I got one a few weeks ago.used with a 10/10 once set up correctly it 's a really good piece of kit

• 2 weeks later...

An electronic powder dispenser is like having a good car heater, not nessesary but damn nice.

I have the way old RCBS Powder Master wich is a rebranded PACT. It has seperate scale and dispenser.

Slightly cumbersome to set up but when it runs it is like magic, it just spews out charge after charge within 1/10grain all the time.

A super precise control scale dont cost an arm and a leg!

http://www.dx.com/p/fc-50-1-7-led-precision-digital-jewelry-scale-white-silver-4-x-aaa-50g-0-001g-192779

I've been looking at getting a Hornady lock n load, getting it shipped from the US . A friend did, and he loves it...

I am not sold on using beam scales ( i changed to digital ) or the target master trickler, & IMO the RCBS is far to expensive.

Rik

I've used the Lyman and RCBS electronic dispensers fairly extensively.

I owned a Lyman (gen 1), which was slow and ended up upgrading some parts to make it a Gen 2 unit. I wasn't convinced of its accuracy - as I cross checked powder charges against a Lab scale I own and found it to be a grain or so out - So I ended up throwing light and trickling up on the Lab scales.

Negating the need for the electronic dispenser as one can do the same process with a powder thrower, trickler and scales….!

I used several RCBS units in the states last year during the F Class world championships when the team bought 5 or 6 units.

These proved to be far more reliable and accurate than the Lyman unit I owned.

Having said that, my own set up, is Harrel powder thrower, Omega trickler and Acculab scale.

I can load 100 cases easily under an hour using this set up and the charge weights are all the same to two decimal places.

I won't be changing this.

If you have or intend to buy a beam scale, id suggest looking at a Targetmaster thrower, which works in conjunction with a sensor attached to the beam scale - reports from friends who own this set up are very favourable.

Archived