Interesting letter from the firearms dept

njc110381

As some of you may know my firearms dept got a few details wrong on my FAC so it had to be returned. I've just got it back with a letter giving the usual routine of rules etc. Nothing new I thought, but I'd better read it anyway.

Anyway, here's the interesting part. Let me know what you think of it:

CONDITIONS OF CERTIFICATE - SHOOTING OVER LAND (NEW INFORMATION - MARCH 2008)

For those who undertake deerstalking activities the certificate conditions now indicate that the control of fox & vermin may also take place with that arm. However, the wording "with appropriate permissions" places an emphasise on the certificate holder to ensure permission to shoot fox & vermin has been obtained from the owner of the property. For those who have fox control they will be approved vermin also - again subject to acquiring land owners permission.

Now that sounds interesting to me. It is (in my view) telling me I can now shoot rabbits with my 6.5x55 if I decide to do so. What a result! I'll be keeping this letter somewhere safe :blink:

yes you are good to go on what you said mate but a word of warning to every one who may read this post

you must have written auth for air rifle's, shotguns now the same as you do for your rifle's

you must have it in writing from the land owner to shoot any quarry you intend to shoot ( if you want to shoot rabbits then it must say rabbits, if you intend to shoot deer then the same applies etc etc for any legal quarry/game)

you must check with the anually adjusted list of quarry/game thats allowed to be taken as the list does vary from year to year(can geese for instance are on the allowed to list as vermin for now, they werent a few years ago and who knows they may be taken off next year)

every year a list is revised of what species are concidered to be a pest but you need it in writing from the land owner because it is not down to you to decide what can get shot but that is down to the land owner however you are responsible in ensuring that what you shoot is legal for that year

species like rabbit, crows etc normally dont changed from year to year but thats not to say they wont/cant

my firearms dept, during a conversation, informed me that a guy was prosecuted for shooting pidgeon when he only had permission to shoot rabbits

the landowner didnt prosecute although it turned out he likes the flying rats :o it was the a firearms dept because some anti nut had phoned 999 saying there was a terrorist out with a gun and so the police had to attend and it was then that they guy was caught out as he did not have his permission letter with him and the landowner was contacted and asked if the guy was allowed to shoot rabbits and flying rats, you can gues the rest

have some fun with your 6.5 though mate on rabbits, I have used my 308 and 300 win mag on them ;):blink:

Guest varmartin

I think they may have had an awful lot of enquiries with regard shooting vermin at the same time as Deer, so decided to add

the wording so they did not have the inconvenience of re printing an FAC each time there was a discrepancy.. :blink:

It does sound like an interesting result though...

When Vim reads this ...he`s gonna spit blood... :P As nobody has the lawful right to vapourise bunnies with a 6.5x55 let alone a 300winmag ;):o

Well I must be a little wrong in the head, but now I have it in writing the next squizzer I see on the ground is going to get some!

In all honesty I don't think my 6.5x55 will go out often now I have the .223. The .223 is an amazing calibre, and I can shoot vermin with that anyway.

I'd love to take a rabbit with a .300 win mag. At least you can be fairly certain of a clean kill ;)

Hi all

I have frequently shot feathered vermin such as Carrion Crows etc. with which-ever rifle has been in my hand, 7mm Rem. Mag., .30-06, .270 , .243 etc.

My permit allows me to shoot Deer, Fox and Vermin with ALL my rifles including an 8x68S also `vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife.`

I know of NO police demand that written permission is required although it would be good to have it.

I visit all farmers where I have permission at the start of the New Year and ask if all is well for me to continue as hitherto.

Currently I have permissions on about 26 properties free of charge.

Treating the farmer or owner with respect ensures continuation of your sport as no-one wants to feel that they are being taken for granted.

I have one lease recently renewed for the 22nd year for Roe on a local estate.

HWH.

Hi all...

My permit allows me to shoot Deer, Fox and Vermin with ALL my rifles ...

I know of NO police demand that written permission is required although it would be good to have it....

HWH.

All this is both bewildering and slightly amusing to us Kiwis.

Man, you guys sure get the run-round!

At least you can still own and use firearms, something that sounded unlikely in the immediate aftermath of the Dunblane event.

Is it true some deadhead reporter actually expressed amazement that Jill Dando had been shot dead "given that handguns had been banned" ?

At this point, we've been pretty much left alone here. MSSAs (mil style semi autos) and handguns are fairly closely regulated, but owning std longarms is no issue. (Can't be bothered with the hassles of owning either, just shoot them when I'm over seeing my US mate). Only the shooter is licensed here, not the guns themselves. I have about 15-18 rifles, the count varying from month to month, but other than producing our licence when we buy, nothing else required.

Chris P

I have just sent my ticket in for ammendent on passing the DSC1. I have email my FEO to consider the statement above to allow me vermin for my 243, currently it is fox only plus target in the run up to the DSC1. On passing they said they would add deer.

Will be interesting to see what responce I will get though Sussex are renouned for funny conditions.

If they mess around BASC have said they will support my wishes and fight my corner.

Well I must be a little wrong in the head, but now I have it in writing the next squizzer I see on the ground is going to get some!

In all honesty I don't think my 6.5x55 will go out often now I have the .223. The .223 is an amazing calibre, and I can shoot vermin with that anyway.

I'd love to take a rabbit with a .300 win mag. At least you can be fairly certain of a clean kill ;)

;) no such thing as a clean kill with the 300 winnie just bloddy messy ones ;);)

All this is both bewildering and slightly amusing to us Kiwis.

Man, you guys sure get the run-round!

At least you can still own and use firearms, something that sounded unlikely in the immediate aftermath of the Dunblane event.

Is it true some deadhead reporter actually expressed amazement that Jill Dando had been shot dead "given that handguns had been banned" ?

At this point, we've been pretty much left alone here. MSSAs (mil style semi autos) and handguns are fairly closely regulated, but owning std longarms is no issue. (Can't be bothered with the hassles of owning either, just shoot them when I'm over seeing my US mate). Only the shooter is licensed here, not the guns themselves. I have about 15-18 rifles, the count varying from month to month, but other than producing our licence when we buy, nothing else required.

Chris P

That's it, I'm going!! Considering that 'all non-indigenous' is also vermin, and that includes deer and the like, I am phoning the embassy right now!! ;)

Finman

Allthough written permission from the landowner or occupier is handy and perhaps comforting to have to have, written permission is not required in law.

David.

Archived