20-222 / 20 VTT

SI- the 20-222 is what it says on the tin a .222 case necked down to .20 cal are you thinking .22-221 which is better known as the .20 vartarg this is the .221 fb case necked to accept a .20cal bullet.

the .20VTT aka 20 vartarg turbo is a cartridge i got intrested in a few years ago when i wanted a .20 cal for vermin.its a .222 case it is shortened , then necked down.then has to have the shoulder improved to 30 degrees.a lot of work thats why i went eventually with a .20 tact. no one in this countrey had a reamer. only to order and the wait time was too long. with the 20vttt you could with the right powder choice and a 12 twist barrel get approx 3400-3600 with a 40gn bullet.

if i went .20 again i would do a .20br or .20 ppc a lot easier to form the brass and good powder choice.

Hi Gary

It's the vartag turbo I was considering. My local smith said he had a 'Vartag turbo (20-222)' reamer. Which is why I was unsure what it was as I presumed there was a difference. He also has a 20 practical. That's tempting too.

Hi Gary

It's the vartag turbo I was considering. My local smith said he had a 'Vartag turbo (20-222)' reamer. Which is why I was unsure what it was as I presumed there was a difference. He also has a 20 practical. That's tempting too.

yes they are differant the reamer your smith has may be ground to avoid shortening the parent case .

for the practical you dont even have to fireform- load the brass and shoot.you will of course have more case capacity and more speed.good luck with your choice.

Hello Si hope your well , iv no experience of the v-turbo , but as you knew i was getting a 20 practical , and just yesterday doing OCW test again (as i switched from N135 to N133 ) 3 of the 5 five shot groups were at half "inch @200 yards , im loving it so far , necking down was easy - you can borrow the bushing if you like ;) if and when you do !

Hello Si hope your well , iv no experience of the v-turbo , but as you knew i was getting a 20 practical , and just yesterday doing OCW test again (as i switched from N135 to N133 ) 3 of the 5 five shot groups were at half "inch @200 yards , im loving it so far , necking down was easy - you can borrow the bushing if you like ;) if and when you do !

Hey buddy. :)

That's awesome mate! I'd like to see your targets for your OCW if you don't mind? Are you using 40's? What velocities are you getting. Any load data would be appreciated.

Si i can email pics to you , it wont let me on here - ill do tomorrow bud . Im still going to re-test the good ones and confirm - but then thats with 39sbk iv not even tried Noslers or the hornadys yet even if there on my shelf waiting . cheers- PS i dont have a chrony , QL says about 3550 ish but then mines a 9 twist , what barrel action you thinking of using ?

Si i can email pics to you , it wont let me on here - ill do tomorrow bud . Im still going to re-test the good ones and confirm - but then thats with 39sbk iv not even tried Noslers or the hornadys yet even if there on my shelf waiting . cheers- PS i dont have a chrony , QL says about 3550 ish but then mines a 9 twist , what barrel action you thinking of using ?

Cheers. si-snipe@hotmail.com

I'm considering another option for my 595 which is currently a 223AI.

• 4 weeks later...

SI- the 20-222 is what it says on the tin a .222 case necked down to .20 cal are you thinking .22-221 which is better known as the .20 vartarg this is the .221 fb case necked to accept a .20cal bullet.

the .20VTT aka 20 vartarg turbo is a cartridge i got intrested in a few years ago when i wanted a .20 cal for vermin.its a .222 case it is shortened , then necked down.then has to have the shoulder improved to 30 degrees.a lot of work thats why i went eventually with a .20 tact. no one in this countrey had a reamer. only to order and the wait time was too long. with the 20vttt you could with the right powder choice and a 12 twist barrel get approx 3400-3600 with a 40gn bullet.

if i went .20 again i would do a .20br or .20 ppc a lot easier to form the brass and good powder choice.

Deans rifle was built by Noman Clarke, so he has a 20VTT reamer or did have. That rifle was for sale last time I saw him but that was a while ago.

A

Archived