Barrel lengths

Can anyone tell me the measurement points for barrel length? ie end to end or from the throat to the end (muzzle)?

The reason I ask is that the 6.5x47 is at an optimum 26 inch barrel Lent so do I need to order a 28 inch barrel which would allow for 2 inches as chamber and 26 inches as a rifled barrel, or just a 26 inch barrel, giving me a 24 inch rifled barrel but 26 inches in total length?

If I wasn't having the barrel fluted this wouldn't be a problem because if 28 inches were to long I could lop off the last 2 inches, this of course would not be an option with flutes running to 1.5 inches of the muzzle.

I knew this was all going to easy, ordering this barrel has been a nightmare, which is all my fault for using the Sako varmint profile barrel, which I'm going to ask the very kind people at McMillan to change.

I have to say though it's certainly been educational :lol:

We always measure from the point of ignition, which is the breech face, to the other end. Hence your 28" barrel, will have approx, 26" of rifled bore.

we do ours from bolt-face to crown. unless otherwise asked.

so if you ask for a 25" barrel you will get 25" from bolt-face to crown. this will of course be discussed and you would be well aware of the measurement.

the only other way we have been asked to measure them is from action face to crown.

ATB

Colin :lol:

There,s several views on this subject. I quoted ours, because whilst its not so critical on a fullbore...it is on a rimfire, legally wise.I believe our measurement is how its worded in the firearms act.

Colin can correct me here if i am wrong but LW seem finish there barrels to a customer specified length, where as US barrels need at least half an inch removing from the muzzle and the breech area in order to get rid of the bell mouthed portion left from lapping.

Failure to remove these bell mouthed portions will hinder accurate indexing of the barrel bore resulting in poor concentricity.

My Sendero profile Lilja came as a 27" blank to finish at 26" however in order to get the barrel contour swamped section to mate with the sendero barrel inlet in the Mcm stock another 1 1/8" had to be removed from the breech end, which meant it ended up at 25" from breech face to crown.

Ian.

Archived