Elcho 15 and reloader 15

jonathan.308

Hi all

Looking for some info on Elcho 15 been offered some today and I've been told it is the same as reloader 15 just wondering if that is correct, I no Elcho 17 is the same as reloader 17 but not heard much about the Elcho 15 any help would be appreciated thank.

Jonathan.

Hi

Yer me too,

but A few people at my local club is using it and they seem pretty happy with it and tell me They cannot tell the difference between reloader 15 and Elcho 15 ,but only just heard of it today but members today who were comparing it to reload 15 today were shooting 10 shots on the same Load with reloader 15 and 10 shots of Elcho 15 and did not move out of the v bull at 300 yards with there 6.5x47 ?. But cannot seem to find information on the net on it ???.

Jonathan.

AFAIK there have only been two powders released by Commonside, these are TR140 and Elcho 17, not heard of Elcho 15.

Gary - your wish is my command (well, up to a point !)

'Elcho 15'? That has to be Nitro-Chemie El-N130 which will be marketed as Reload Swiss RS52 on the UK launch of the range later this year. It's shown as having a similar burning rate to Re15, and slightly slower than VarGet. I used a sample lot in 308 win with up to 185gn bullets, .223 Rem with 80s and 90s and 6.5X47L with 123s running it alongside both VarGet and Re15.

You can use similar charge weights to those two powders, but RS52 will normally give higher MVs than either. Like Re15 it's a 'high-energy' powder with nitroglycerine infused into the NC kernels at a late stage in the production process. Like Re17 / Elcho 17, it has N-C's unique burning rate deterrent infusion technology which is what lets you load it up to get higher MVs than from apparent equivalents. But of course, like E17 / Re17, if you make full use of the available performance, you WILL cane the barrel throat. Specific energy wise N-C's quote makes it very similar to Re15 at ~4,000 J/G, but a bit lower than VarGet.

FWIW, I think of it as 'Swiss VarGet' as so far I've ended up using very similar charges to that powder but getting higher MVs. My three guinea pig cartridges would see higher charges of RS52 than Re15 - but not by a lot. In any event, it's not a new version of Re15 or any other powder - it needs proper load development like any propelllant and we don't have the full factoy loads data yet - so please don't pass the word around that people can simply take a known and worked up load for one powder and substitute another. In some other applications, it may work the other way round and a lack of working charges up could produce a dangerous overload.

When it's launched, I reckon this one will be a winner though, especially for all those who are desperate to find VarGet and can't. And ... hopefully (!!! ) supply will be better assured than the US / Aussie product.

I contacted Nigel (Commonside - supplier of Elcho 17) in the vain hope that there was a RL 15 clone like Elcho 17/RL17) and he's never heard of Elcho 15.

I have been fortunate to try RS 52 (EI 130) and whilst it is close to RL 15, like Laurie says, it is not a like for like replacement.

I worked up some loads for my 6.5x47 and 308 rifles and I found RS 52 to perform better than RL 15 (more MV and less ES) but I'm glad I didn't just go for a charge for charge comparison to start with.

FWIW I've found the RS plug-in for QuickLoad to be very inaccurate.

Hi laurie

Just got a burn chart from the member at my local club and it is Rs52 I have been offered on the burning chat there is all the RS powders and there looks to be an RS50 which is the same burn rate as reloader 15 too but he has not any of that.

Tried to upload the burn chat on here but just keep getting a message saying it's too big a file.

He has 4 x1 kg tubs of RS52 so I might as well buy all four and give it a go.

Cheers for all your help.

Might see you at Diggle on Thursday laurie.

Cheers Jonathan.

Hi

answer to the question is elcho 15 the same as reloder 15 NO I have used it in my 6br and it runs slightly slower than reloader 15 more akin to Varget this is my real world test and not guesswork

hope this helps

regards

Dully1963

Archived