spotting scopes?????????

Looking a nice compact spotting scope for taking in my range bag just for spotting out to 600 metres, what mag would I need to see bullet holes at that range and any recommended scopes, I had looked at a leupold sequina which was 40x wasnt too badly priced. Any suggestions welcome but dont want to spend a fortune, spent enough latley to last me a lifetime :rolleyes:

You'll struggle to see bullet holes at 600 yards with a scope with a small objective lens. I use a Kowa 82mm Ojective scope for target shooting, 6mm bullet holes can be seen at 300 yards and sometimes at 600 yards if the light is just right. Anything with a smaller objective will struggle even if x40 or higher as it does not gather enough light to give a clear picture at high magnification. I do believe that some cheap spotting scopes have been on sale recently at either Aldi or Lidl and some of my colleages were please with the perfomance given the cost.

You'll struggle to see bullet holes at 600 yards with a scope wil a small objective lens. I use a Kowa 82mm Ojective scope for target shooting, 6mm bullet holes can be seen at 300 yards and sometimes at 600 yards if the light is just right. Anything with a smaller objective will struggle even if x40 or higher as it does not gather enough light to give a clear picture at high magnification. I do believe that some cheap spotting scopes have been on sale recently at either Aldi or Lidl and some of my colleages were please with the perfomance given the cost.

Gah, I got one from Aldi/Lidl, useless. Fine at 20X darker at 40x and night time at 60x. Buy a small bag of carrots instead, all joking aside they'd be a better investment.

I do believe that some cheap spotting scopes have been on sale recently at either Aldi or Lidl and some of my colleages were please with the perfomance given the cost.

You do get what you pay for; maybe my friends are easily pleased. <_<

so a compact one isnt really gonna do much for me, maybe I will spend a bit more and see what I can get.

I`ve been very pleased with my Optolyth TBS 100 APO. Standard cop kit here are Zeiss spotting scopes - most seem pleased with them.

Worth mentioning not to cheap out on the tripod - manfrotto 055 series are good for a full size job and Ray-vin or Ewing tacticals for prone / bench. I do have the Ray-vin, but would be more inclined towards the Ewing if I was buying one again.

David.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig

I have one of these - http://www.minox-world.co.uk/minox_139.html

They are excellent (compact, good glass, waterproof and hard cover ocular and objective, tripod mount twists to any angle etc) and reasonably priced.

I also have a Yukon 50X, that is not very good.

I can see bullet holes with any of my 25x scopes (Leup, S&:) at 500 yards easily so I see no reason why I wouldnt see them at the distance you want with the Minox spotter...

Archived