Hi guys im looking for yet again more help.what do you yous recommend for my first sight.its to be mounted on a 308 and weaver rail.ill be shooting 500yds at paper targets just now.i like the mill dot sights.also its a all year sight ie in poor lighting in the winter.i dont want to spend more than 300.i know im limiting myself but im on a budget and its my first one.cheers all

Brian Fox sells some really good scopes for the budget you have.guntrader is another good source of 2nd hand optics.

its an old story with scopes "save up then save some more".a good scope can be moved from on rifle to another as you better your equipment.there was a sightron for sale on here, it may still be, that is well worth the asking price.

Hi Nearly there I did a bit of a experiment about 2 years ago with my .20 tac I removed my night force scope which the rifle was wearing at that time thinking it was a lot of money to be sitting there on a foxing rifle and could I get away with a cheaper scope without giving to much up meaning when out foxing the furthest shot under lamp is going to be 200-250 yrds but the scope had to be up to the job as regards clarity in lamping conditions and also it had to be good in day time for long range varmint shooting ie crows rabbits etc again sensible ranges for calibre so I decided to try a Niko Sterling Target Master 6x24x50 I think it was around £280 at that time for that kind of money it is hard to beat you cant and I would not compare it with top end scopes but you have to decide like you said on your budget but it still sits on my .20 tac and I have had no issues with focus or tracking in daytime with it good scope and I have never thought about putting the night force back on the .20 tac it has been put to better use on my Barnard 07 tactical 260 rifle hope this helps you make a decision.

Nearly there - £300 buys you Chinese.

Yes, you can pay serious money for Chinese scopes from some dealers but for £120 you won't beat an 8-32 scope from Fox Firearms. You won't get a mildot reticle - but this is of no use to you anyway and it will easily cope with 'poor lighting' in winter out to 500 yards.

+1 on Gary,Vince GP,and Gunnery's advises.

Gunnery's experience mirrors mine.There is a very good case for the Night Force class target scope,eventually-but not on a realistic beginning budget.

I like mil dots for variable range reactive targets,but I would not restrict choice to just that for fixed distance paper targets,just as Vince says-you do need a clear,but fine aiming mark (cross,target dot as you wish-but not some blackout that obscures several target inches-you want your shots in there!)

32x is enough x,for now at 500y. I'd rather have a 25xLeupold than a 32x Tasco,but the better glass just won't be available at the budget price (and at least x2 second hand)-there is an awful lot to master before you will really see much return from a serious glass investment (actually,there is only one thing-wind reading,and no scope will help with that). Enjoy,and good shooting.

g

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand Sightron

Hmmm.....the Sightron that is implied (quite correctly)in recommendations for a very good scope is the s111 series-but you would be doing well to get a used one for £600,which is twice the budget given.

Earlier sightrons are rather a different matter,though not necessarily a poor scope-just not in the same league as the S111 series.

gbal

Archived