Advice needed regarding powder load and new brass.

Jamie

Hi folks,

A quick question if I may.

I've changed from .223 Rem brass to Lapua brass.

The brass is new and unused at the moment.

Do I continue with the same powder load as usual, or should I be building up the load again from scratch, or just a few points of a grain lower than usual?

Some constructive advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Someone more experienced may chip in here, but I always start again when I change a component, especially brass type. There can be a lot of difference s between brands.

A lot of shooters say you only need to expand the necks for new Lapua cases

Gareth

Jamie-good move.Assuming your current load is not a hot one,you should be able to load the Lapua brass with your current powder load.Lapua brass tends to be more uniform and last a bit longer,but different makes do have different internal capacities-not a concern,but powder level might be/look somewhat different in the case.You could load a few backed off half a grain,just to be sure-usual precaution-,but a normal,ie not hot,not exceeding the powder manufacturer's max for the bullet weight,should be ok.

Thanks George and Gareth.

I like to keep my loads under max, even if by just a tad, so the loads are at the upper end, but not "Hot".

I suppose my main concern was case capacity, as obviously they vary from one brand to another.

I checked them all over first, then neck sized them all. I didn't need to trim them as they were all almost perfect at 1.750".

I don't intend on doing any more case prep, or certainly not until I see how they do.

Thanks for the advice both.

Jamie

personally id do a quick rework of my load data as suggested above if you are not using a hot load go 5% less and reowrk , if you have a stout load go 10 % lower and rework

Apologies I should have said in my last post, I intend to drop the load somewhat and build back up.

I have plenty of brass to fire form so no reason not to.

Cheers

Jamie

you could prime two pieces of brass one lapua one rem, weigh, then fill with water, and re weigh, that will give you an idea of internal volume, both should be either new, or fired as in same same..

atb

you could prime two pieces of brass one lapua one rem, weigh, then fill with water, and re weigh, that will give you an idea of internal volume, both should be either new, or fired as in same same..

atb

Fair point T!

Need to fire form a few pieces of Lap brass then.

That's when I get up from being prostrate that is. My back is giving me some right grief these last couple of days...

If it wasn't for red wine and strong pain killers I don't know what I'd do! I do actually, go ******* shooting no doubt.... :(:mad:

If you have a look at the Accurate Shooter guide to the 223 / 223AI, it lists water capacities for several makes of case.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

In this survey, recent Lapua is slightly less 'roomy' than Remington at 31.1gn water v 31.4gn, so if this applies to your case lots, it'll increase pressures a bit all other things equal, but not by a huge amount.

Running the two capacities through QuickLOAD with a Viht N133 load under the 55gn V-Max sees a 1,400 psi increase caused by the 0.3gn capacity reduction. So, drop your charges by a half to full grain and work up. This also has the advantage that you fine-tune the load as the pair may need different charge weights to produce the smallest groups.

Fair point T!

Need to fire form a few pieces of Lap brass then.

That's when I get up from being prostrate that is. My back is giving me some right grief these last couple of days...

If it wasn't for red wine and strong pain killers I don't know what I'd do! I do actually, go ******* shooting no doubt.... :(:mad:

go get a rub down undo some of those knots buddy :)

if your using 55s id just drop the n133 to 24gr as i did not max out till 25.4grs using the privi brass, i settled on 24.6 and it likes 15-10 thou from the lans thats with the nosler 55s using rem br 7 1/2 primers

personally id do a water capacity test on both brands first then go from there ! ;)

Archived