Reactive long range target and the law

If you read the law you will see that pyrotechnics are indeed defined as an 'explosive substance'.

Tannerite is basically a mixture of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder and in the UK would be classified as a high explosive, once mixed.

Who told you it was a high explosive because it isnt termite would be classed as a low explosive(if an explosive at all since it burns not explodes) flash powder is an example of a medium explosive c4 Pe4 ,rdx ect are high explosives they are classified by how fast they explode.

Firebird targets are indeed pyrotechnics, i.e. a fuel/oxidiser mixture. But they are almost certainly sold under as 'fireworks', with the appropriate exemptions under the 2005 regulations. It is perfectly legal to buy fireworks; but it's absolutely not legal to make your own without the right lawful authority. So illegal, unnecessary and quite dangerous as well!

sorry shuggy wrong again pal go and have a look on the pyro forum uk you dont need a licence to make your own fireworks you can also make 100g of black powder for "experimintation".

You can buy everything you need over the counter and have it delivered to your house no questions asked.

Who told you it was a high explosive because it isnt termite would be classed as a low explosive(if an explosive at all since it burns not explodes) flash powder is an example of a medium explosive c4 Pe4 ,rdx ect are high explosives they are classified by how fast they explode.

I certainly didn't say any such thing. I said that thermite was classed as an 'explosive substance'. If you would really like to be convinced, here is the official definition of an explosive substance from the 2005 regs:

(a)capable by chemical reaction in itself of producing gas at such a temperature and pressure and at such a speed as could cause damage to surroundings; or

(b)designed to produce an effect by heat, light, sound, gas or smoke, or a combination of these as a result of a non-detonative, self-sustaining, exothermic chemical reaction;

sorry shuggy wrong again pal go and have a look on the pyro forum uk you dont need a licence to make your own fireworks you can also make 100g of black powder for "experimintation".

You can buy everything you need over the counter and have it delivered to your house no questions asked.

I think that I would rather trust the HSE website thanks very much.

Do I need a licence?

Regulation 9(2) of MSER sets out which manufacturing activities do not require a licence. The main examples are:

fusing firework displays

preparing theatrical television and cinematic special effects

on-site mixing of explosives (either those made using ammonium nitrate emulsions, or by mixing ammonium nitrate with fuel oil)

"Regulation 9(2) of MSER sets out which manufacturing activities do not require a licence. The main examples are:

on-site mixing of explosives (either those made using ammonium nitrate emulsions, or by mixing ammonium nitrate with fuel oil)"

Eh??? You don't need a licence????? I thought that was the preserve of paramilitaries in the bad old days!

I love the law and the inherent vagaries of its interpretation!

Me? I'm sticking to Torro Rosso cans filled with water and day-glo painted clays!

Mind you there is always nitrogen tri-iodide..... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"Regulation 9(2) of MSER sets out which manufacturing activities do not require a licence. The main examples are:

on-site mixing of explosives (either those made using ammonium nitrate emulsions, or by mixing ammonium nitrate with fuel oil)"

Eh??? You don't need a licence????? I thought that was the preserve of paramilitaries in the bad old days!

I love the law and the inherent vagaries of its interpretation!

Me? I'm sticking to Torro Rosso cans filled with water and day-glo painted clays!

Mind you there is always nitrogen tri-iodide..... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

.....Purple Haze .......without Jimmi Hendrix !

Balloons filed with acetylene in front of a double sheet of mild steel if you are firing full bore HV.(you can also place non safety match heads between both sheets which can assist in ignition if your velocity is a bit on the low side.) All the interesting high energy materials (including some chemicals which YOU may not know to be pre cursor chemicals) can get you into all kinds of bother in the UK where there is a rather 'aunty knows best' attitude by the authorities and pretty well no room to manoeuvre unless you have the appropriate tickets.

If I may add, it also helps if you understand what you are dealing with; first you need to understand the difference between burning, deflagration, and detonation. None of the materials involved can be taken lightly, especially the alluded to purple smoke. You may wish to research the early experimentation on exploding bullets before you go much further.

Shuggy you are something else like i said go look on the pyro forum and they will set you straight our are they all breaking the law on a public forum?

Well I had a look and I must admit that I didn't know about the proposed change from Reg 9(2)a to Reg 6(2)a this year, so thanks for that.

It's also good to see that they are a serious society with a draft code of good practice in the making. However the 'experimental' exemption still limits you to 100g. Unless one is a serious enthusiast, prepared to do all this properly, I still reckon that the Firebird targets are a better solution for the average person.

Archived