Converting barrel screw cut threads

Help please - I have a SAKO 85 on order from Sportsman Gun Centre at Exeter. I was intending to have it screw cut to 1/2" UNF so that I could use the T8 I already have on my Steyr.

Today I learned from GMK that the rifle will arrive screw cut but in M14 x 1. That is good and bad news - good because I don't want to lose the warranty by having it screwcut, and also good because I guess that that SAKO will make a good job of it. Bad news because I gues my T8 will not fit.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get some kind of screw on converter so that I can use a 1/2" UNF Mod on a M14 x1 thread?

Badsworth

Guest varmartin

If there was one available ( which I doubt ) I would not use one as it would be impossible to guarantee concentricity with the bore.

Better to get GMK or the SGC to thread it as you require.

If it where the other way round you might have a chance.

M14x1 in the mody and converter to 1/2" . I think it is a bit tight though,

meaning too little wall section. I have a m15x1 to 1/2 " converter

which works fine, and huntsman has a 5/8" to 1/2" which also works.

If you invest the cost of opening the t8 to m14 (if it is possible) and making

a converter you might have paid for another t8.

edi

I'm not sure if you could open up a (bore out) 1/2 unf thread sufficiently to allow you to successfully thread a M14 size.

There is the added problem that the threads in the Reflex mods are pretty deep within the moderator which would make the task exceedingly difficult anyway - the threaded bushing isnt removable as on other mods.....

I have asked SGC to find out what options I have, but it doesn't sound too good. Looks like a new mod is on the cards and it won't be a T8!

I don't want to void the warranty by chopping anything about after it leaves the factory.

I have been waiting for the gun since the begining of Feb and I am told thet they hope t have it at the end of the month - I don't want to do anything to change the details of the order and give them an excuse to delay it even further.

Pass the piggy bank......................

Changing the thread size, if done by a reputable gunsmith should not void the warranty, after all, remingtons are threaded in this country , then sold. Your pants are being pulled down mate.

I can’t see a problem with making a thread adaptor, it would have to extend your barrel length by about 25mm. I would turn a bit of stainless to the same dia of your barrel then put a female M14 thread on one end, then drill hole 1mm over your bore size through the centre. On the other end thread 1/2UNF making sure that you have about 10mm of solid material between the start and finish of the two threads.

I would use some low strength thread locking adhesive when you screw the adaptor on to the barrel otherwise when you remove the moderator the adaptor may un-screw from the barrel and not the moderator. ;)

Best rgds

B-b

Guest varmartin

I stand corrected....looks like with the correct wizardry it is possible.

But then, man went to the moon in the 60`s when every one else was smokin Hasheesh ;)

Guest varmartin
Yeah...but the Russians beat us to launchin a manned rocket....

Oh.... to be sittin back smokin Hashish.... ;)

Ooooppps...

308Panther

:P;) Dude you ever watch `Cheech and Chong`...priceless :lol:

Sorry Badsworth.....highjackin again

Hi there,I am not too sure which model 85 you got coming but i made enquiries for an 85 varmint once which I was told was going to be factory threaded 18x1 which better suits that particular barrel diameter and a whole heap of standard mods come with that threading.It may well be that your rifle has a smaller barrel diameter and they thread it to suit but I would say check with GMK what you got coming as the SGC staff apart from one or two are not that well informed sometimes[or bothered].All the best,let us know what you have found out anyway,cheers Onehole.

Help please - I have a SAKO 85 on order from Sportsman Gun Centre at Exeter. I was intending to have it screw cut to 1/2" UNF so that I could use the T8 I already have on my Steyr.

Today I learned from GMK that the rifle will arrive screw cut but in M14 x 1. That is good and bad news - good because I don't want to lose the warranty by having it screwcut, and also good because I guess that that SAKO will make a good job of it. Bad news because I gues my T8 will not fit.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get some kind of screw on converter so that I can use a 1/2" UNF Mod on a M14 x1 thread?

Badsworth

Sorry to come in a bit late on this discussion but as a supplier to moderators to mostly the trade and some retail, all these treads are a complete pain in the ass .not only for myself and others like me but just think of all the stock a guns shops has to have in just to have one of each on the shelf. Example and I may stand corrected here but from experience.

Tikka ans Sako thin barrel 14 x 1

Tikka ans Sako heavy barrel 18 x 1

RPA 17 x 1

Blazer 15 x 1 or 17 x1

Browning 9/16 x 24

Ect, ect..

Times this by three calibres choices and in the case of PES black or silver finish and you can see the problem.

Most UK gunsmiths were happy with ½” x 20 unf for thin and 5/8 x 18 for heavy.

I was told the other day that (quote) Sako and Tikka will put ½ x 20 or 5/8 x 18 on if ordered no problem.

Yes it’s handy to have guns already threaded but in the right threads, I get loads of complaints by gun shops on this issue. These guns are threaded for the UK market only lets put pressure on the likes of GMK to do what we the gun shops and public want.

I will post this to see what response I get.

P.S. a thread adaptor may add weight and length to the rig and is another area for possible misalignment :)

Archived