17 caliber ammo

hi i have a 17 hornet , I have reloaded it from the first day i had it, i bought 500 cases and bullets the last time i was ordering as i couldn get cases for ages , i really love the calliber thio as it suits what i shoot lots of crows and mags and the odd fox hope this helps,

Thanks for that .is there ant 17 fireball users out there that can give me some advise as well as this would be my prefered choice.

about this time last year there was'nt any fireball brass to be found,dout it's got any better.i had a fireball three years ago great case shite rifle x2,never again unless it's a proven shooter or custom

Thanks for that .is there ant 17 fireball users out there that can give me some advise as well as this would be my prefered choice.

i have a .17fb a cooper pheonix what do you need to know? i also have a .17rem so can compare data if you need.pm me if you want.

Hi Gary I need to no weather there is factory ammo available or brass I am totally new to centerfire been shooting 22 lr and hmr for years but need more range for problem rabbits and really don't no which way to go don't want to be much lauder than hmr which I have a t4 mod on and have never reloaded before so if I could start out on factory ammo would be good and start reloading later all I hear is people saying no ammo or brass available

22 hornet is a good round,plenty of loaded ammo and easy to reload when you get started.not that much loader han a 17 hmr and good out to 250 on crow/rabbit.got mine with the intention of turning it into a 17 hornet but never bothered

.17 Fireball ammo is hard to come by, but Remington still list 20gn accutip. Brass is available , grab it before you get a rifle. Remington have discontinued new .17 fireball rifles. I'm picking one up s/h shortly after sourcing all the bits to make it run first. :D

re .17 Hornet, ammo and rifles are available and in current production. I would recommend the cz 527 varmint having seen my mates in action.

OK there is clearly a case for either Hornet or Fireball.Here are some facts:

Hornet 35g Vmax@ 3100 (Hornady) 200 zero drop/drift in inches 10mph wind +2.8/2.8 (100Y) 0/13.5 (200) 17/36 (300)

Fireball 40g BT @ 3200 (Nosler) 200 zero +1.6/1.3; 0/5.4; 7.8/13.2

Both commercial loads,of course duplicated easily by reloading.

The Fireball uses more powder,so has to be a bit louder than the Hornet_both of course are louder than the 17hmrimfire.

In wind,the Fireball clearly has a considerable advantage in range (at 200y a 13.5 drift is well on the limit of what is useable,given that you will make errors in just what the wind actually is 200y away,and 300 is just not on.In wind,the Fireball is about a 250y rifle.

Without wind,the drop figures are indicative,and 200y is feasible ,maybe a bit more with the Fireball-more comfortably.

But you may not be shooting that sort of distance.

Hornet ammo and reloading components are much more readily available than the Fireball brass is-that's a 'get a few hundred' when you can.Fireball is a better ,modern cartridge design-a shortened 222rem-but the modern reloaded hornet is a much better cartridge than was the old Hornet(which had poor bullets etc),so don't let old timers tales influence you too much.Fireball is better,but then it's louder,and maybe the full 222 comes into play,giving another 50+ yards,if needed.Hornet is a little cheaper to run,though if 10p a shot matters,you must have an awful lot of rabbits to shoot. Far more Hornets around than fireballs-though that is not an indicator of performance etc. The Hornet is just an old cartridge,he Fireball has always been a niche cartridge in UK.Great if it's in your niche!

Only you can figure all this out,how realistic range/loudness plays against some availability issues.Good luck.

Gbal

Hello

I have 100 17 Fireball cases unfired

Alan xxx

gbal,

No offence , but are ou sure on your head weights ???

.17 vmax is available but only in 20grn & 25grn ..

Also

I am after a .17rem, as I believe it's the best option for me, by far ...

I like the .17 hornet, around 1000fps more than a HMR, but not flat enough or carrying enough energy for me at 200m

Hence why I like the 17rem, the issue I have ith the fireball is that it struggles to feed from magazines, & that's not good ... IMO

There is not much in it for sound between the fireball & rem

If you want quiet, then I would say that working up in the .17's : HMR, Hornet, then either of the others ..

If you look at the powder range in each case, it will give you a clue ...

If you take a 25grn vmax head ... The max powder ( the one I use ...) in a case is :

Hornet - 12grn ( 3280 fps )

Fireball - 19grn. ( 3854 fps )

Rem - 24grn ( 4072 fps )

Of course , barrel length will have an effect over both speed & sound..

gbal,

No offence , but are ou sure on your head weights ???

.17 vmax is available but only in 20grn & 25grn ..

Also

I am after a .17rem, as I believe it's the best option for me, by far ...

I like the .17 hornet, around 1000fps more than a HMR, but not flat enough or carrying enough energy for me at 200m

Hence why I like the 17rem, the issue I have ith the fireball is that it struggles to feed from magazines, & that's not good ... IMO

Oops,sorry-the figures I gave are for the regular 224 Hornet and Fireball,not the 17 versions....but they do give some idea of the differentials

The 17 rem is quite some way better than either(25g@4040). I have had one for over 30 years,and by far the best 17 option unless noise (moderated?) is a mega concern. It is just about 300y viable ,drop /drift 5/12 inches,and I found it very effective,though not typically capable of the precision of best 222/223 in factory form,it's good enough,if range is kept to 300 .Limited,but enough,bullet choice.Like it,a lot,as a short range varminter.

Gbal

The main advantage of a centre fire .17 is Flat trajectory & speed, factor in that a rnd will loose its energy really fast at distance, & a vmax is a frangible rnd... It's a very safe shooting varmint rifle that's cost effective for long range rabbits, crow,( small vermin ) & is fox legal ..

It's my view that it makes a great night rifle ( nv ) for my permission, where I have to deal with all of the above quarry.

So next what rifles can you all recommend in both calibers rem and fireball or should I go custom I will customise it a bit stock ,trigger and mod

There's near new vssfll fireball on guntrader.Comes with hs precision stock as std fitment .

Pork chop ...

That's a very synical view .... Possibly true, as I agree, I would rather buy a used rifle... ( not shot out, unless the price deemed it such) than a fairly new one with extremely low shot count...

But, working up a good home load, sometimes negates the issue..

.17's are Not everyone's cup of tea tho.. Especial with the demise of the Rem700 in this calibre, there is not many factory rifles to choose from... The .204 is the trendy choice... Personally I don't see the point in one, as it sits to close to my .223... And that's a cracking beast !

your right it is a very cynical view,i found out the hard way .for me remingtons are to hit and miss,cost me alot of money to find out.love the 17's just not in a remington

TIKKA-COOPER.nuff said

Archived