Ambush night on the fell.

happyhunter

Looking over to the den on the fell from my position (196yards) with the wind in my favour across a gill with a small stream and plenty of cover. Tikka t3 in .22/250 was the rifle of choice (55grn v-max)with the t20-66 as lamp above the nightforce. Was in place by 8.30pm got cleared up and home by 2am.

image_zps542e3c9d.jpg

Wide view of location

image_zpsd264d332.jpg

Adult fox coming in just right of centre (460yards) very grainy image on the iPhone as light was fadeing fast.

image_zpsd35c1225.jpg

This is the first fox in about 10.40pm, bib shot at 208yard turned out to be the dog. He tumbled right down the steep slope almost into the stream. A lot of moisture in the air using the flash on the camera.

image_zpsdab7fce1.jpg

This is the vixen taken with a nice 200yard head shot (about 12.15am), she made an appearance when using the cub distress on the fox pro. Five 1/2grown cubs also met the same fate (1vixen, 4dogs last shot about 1am)

image_zps97af00c0.jpg

My shooting partner shot a barren vixen about 300yards to my left about 11.25pm heading in my direction, the cubs had been see in and around the den he was watching over but in the last couple of days had moved further up and along the fell into thicker cover. In a few weeks time it would of been an almost impossible job once the bracken gets growing.

Fantastic sitting out in the middle of nowhere on a nice night watching the world go by. Roll on 8pm tonight as I have word of another lot that a farmer wants dealt with.

Good job Simon!...a good night all round ;) ..shame about the pics :D ..its great when the rest of the world is asleep!

Keep at em!!

Glenn

Ace shooting pal , yeah shame about pics but we can still see that its a georgous area there :)perfect backstops. was out yesterday eve and nite , was out with friend for a muntie but one never showed for him . So i took him over to a small farm which id not shot for some time , he got 2 ( Charlie ) with his t3 .222 - happy days , oh and the thunder storms we had been watching from the hill into the evening were bloody spectacular . Atb tim

Archived