Varminting scope for £500-600? suggestions please!

bushpig

Hi, new to the site and varminting. Im after a scope to use on my Remmington 700sps .223 for longer range use out to 400-500yards. I was looking at the meopta 6-18x50 as ive heard some good reviews but was wondering if anyone had any suggestion that would fit within my budget? Bushnell elite? something secondhand? Any help would be appreciated.

How about Vortex? Riflecraft have the full range here, they're great value for money with a completely bomb-proof warranty.

How about Vortex? Riflecraft have the full range here, they're great value for money with a completely bomb-proof warranty.

+1 for vortex. I head shot a fox at 305 yards at 9.50 pm last week with a PST. I had to put the scope on 6 times but could see very well.

BP,

You will get some good recommendations on here-and you can get a very competent varmint scope for £500.Remember that the 223 at 400/500 has dropped 25/50 inches (200 zero) ,so you will be dialling in quite a few clicks;or will be able to use reticule markings/mil dots and so on.Quite a fine reticule helps precision too,so long as you can pick it up easily,and reticule choice is very subjective,so look at the options and chose what you can use/like.I have several Leupold Varmint 8-25s and find that about perfect,but usually more like £650;up to 25x won't be too much...on a very precise rifle -say 6br,even more is an advantage,but not needed,and you won't get at £500.You won't use sub 6x at all. I would not be put off a used 'better' scope,if it ticks your boxes-the optical quality and tracking should be superior,though not much...Get what suits you,and has the features you really want/need,but there is plenty choice for £500.

Gbal

Cheers for the advice, just out of interest do any of you use meopta scopes?

Yes a 3 - 12 x 50 Illuminated on a 6.5 x 55 and a 6 - 18 x 50 on a 17 Fireball, both great scopes and superb VFM.

Archived