Help to choose moderator

Afternoon All,

I am just putting in a variation in order to get mods on my 22-250 and 308. (Still to purchase the .308)

My 22-250 is not screw cut yet. It is a sporter profile barrel and hopefully they will only take the minimum amount off. Should I be asking for a particular type of thread to be cut or is it tailored to the outer diameter of the barrel?

What Moderator would you recommend for the .22-250? I don’t want to add too much extra length so I was thinking of going down the over barrel expansion chamber route. The smaller the profile the better. I know there will still be a decent crack but if I can eliminate the boom it would be great. Quite frankly I know very little about individual makes and models.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

J

J,you will get plenty advice on this.There probably isn't a definitive choice because there are no real tests of decibel reduction taken whee it might matter-100-250 metres from the muzzle!Sonic crack is unavoidable out there-it's actually not what you hear that matters in the field....

My 'impression' is that most mods are quite similar in sound reduction,though mostly I use ear defenders too,and am primarily interested in recoil control-not for pain,but to reduce muzzle flip so I can see bullet splash,though it's nice not to have sore ears,or shoulder when many rounds are fired.

The reflex type are generally shorter,and no less efficient.Threading is partly dependent on barrel of course- 1/2 unf might be best for a sporter,as there may not be metal enough for say 5/8 unf.(or metric equivalents).You can use a 308 moderator on a 22/250, (but not vice versa!) given the same threading,of course-there are even a few that allow different thread adaptors-with little functional loss if any on moderation.Avoids mistakes (wrong mod taken out!) and reduces costs-or allows a more expensive one for same outlay-at least initially-I am not recommending Titanium,but they are very light,and very expensive!

Ase make very good mods,but One Less Charlie will custom make,for not much more.I don't have strippable/cleanable mods,and can pay the price of first shot smoke if the WD40 has been overdone-not good for some field use! We all have our favourites,though not always the same for different applications.

Take advice here,check specs if weight and profile matter-there is generally a trade off,but with some care,most mods give good service.On a range rifle,weight is probably an asset if it gives durability for more shots. They can all be spray painted if you wish.There is a fair choice.

Gbal

• 2 weeks later...

T8 is probably the quietest, and defiantly the heaviest. It really depends on your shooting. If your set up on the bonnet of the jeep banging rabbits an foxes at 200plus then the t8 would be fine. If your having to do a lot of walking and shooting maybes once of twice a night then you'd be better of with maybe a maxim or the likes.

• 1 month later...

Archived