Pushing out the 223 help please

Hi all

I'm accurately shooting out to 300yrds

With my home loads /223-55g Sierra sp

I wanted to push the range out a bit 400/500

Just wondering what would you gents recommend ?

Bullets ? It's a 1"8 tikka

Ideally I'd like to stick to one bullet for everything foxing

& general vermin ? Would the trajectory be much different & fps -

With say a 70/80 grain bullet?

With your 1/8...69gn smks all day long..my AR15 loves em!...but that's a 1/7..it holds better then 1 MOA at 200.For all round work you will not find a better round IMOA.

Glenn

Nosler 69gr have fairly light jackets, I have shot them in a 10 twist 22BRX and they broke apart very well on targets and worked fine on foxes. Will probably zip right through a crow or magpie or rabbit, but it worked a treat on foxes. Exit holes anything from an inch to about 5 inches.

IMO a 1:8 .223 is a very versatile setup. I run an 80gr Berger VLD for target at longer ranges and would recommend a 55gr VMax for effectively humane varminting.

A mid weight bullet is a compromise, however, as TackB says, 75amax should do what you want.

Rup

Hi Cm:here are some comparative performance data for 55 Vmax (BC.255) and 77SMK(BC.390) so you can see the differences (there are of course lots of others,but this is reasonable data to answer your question about trajectories......drop/drift inches,10mph wind ,200 y zero

100 200 300 400 500

55vmax @ 3240 1.4/1.1 0/4.6 -7/10.9 -21.4/20.8 -45.9/35.1 (energy 312ftlb)

77 SMK@2750 2.0/.9 0/3.6 -8.6/8.4 -25.1/15.7 -51.3/25.8 " 503 ftlb lbs

Different loads will slightly change these data,but not their relative values to each other.These are representative commercial (not hot) loads.

As ever,heavier bullet trade off is pretty minimal to 250y,then you get a bit more drop,and considerably less wind drift,with more retained energy.

The trade off is usually good,since you have to dial in drop anyhow,and a few more clicks are no issue

(obviously you need to have accurate distance,maybe a laser rangefinder),whereas the wind -remember,all the way out,won't often be as steady as it is measured (Kestrel) at the muzzle,depending on the terrain,and with those sort of drifts,a small error means a failed shot.Not a problem per se on paper/gongs,but it's not on for sentient critturs.

Just for fun/information have a look at the pre egg shoot results from Diggle-3 shots at each of 100,300,500 yards at a groundhog target-trimming the toenails,about 10x5" very approx,and see how many solid hits are made at 500,by good shooters with ballistically very much superior rifles.It's a reality check,if you shoot in any kind of wind,at distances beyond say 300 yards.

But on gongs/targets... have at them-it's good fun,and rewarding if you are honest (% hits,not 'some' hits!)

Gbal

ps sorry table of data isn't so clear in final version,but you should get the main points,esp if copy out more clearly.

Thanks gbal & others for the info

I'm useing istrelok @ the moment with a hawke 600 range finder I've only done gongs @ 300 but is very accurate 2"groups 1 shot 1 kill (crow @ 318) I had a shot 410 on a rabbit but was about 4" out, but then realised I was on a hill of about 15/20%rise ,what I never accounted for, anyway il pick up some heaver heads and have a play over the weekend

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with SMKs are they are designed for target shooting and not hunting although Mr Fox will probably not notice.

Get the equivalent VMax, (AMax at a push) or GameKings, etc.

The 69-77gn bullets should suit you very well. The velocity of the 75/77 gn bullets will be a little lower than you are probably used to with the 55gn bullets and the come-ups will be greater as a consequence (not quite as much with the 69gn bullets). These will all get to 600yds just fine if you have the scope corrections already figured out for distance.

• 3 weeks later...

i was going to rant on what my gun like but is is completely down to what yours likes, i found as much as its great to have one round for all purposes its great fun and great trigger time learning your gun shooting different loads. It also gives you great experience in the world of ballistics and trajectory leaning all these things in the process. I was in the same position as you and didn't know if mine would like the heavy loads as its a 1 in 9. i was lucky enough to try some of my mates 80matchkings for long range and it loves them, 1'' at 300 all day long consistently, same with the 80 Amax and weirdly enuf same with the 55sierra blitzkings(these get blown around a little bit in the wind mind)

If i was keeping my AR15 as a daytime toy i would run the 80's all day long but its getting turned into a night vision dedicated weapon so going back to the 55blitzkings so can run them in the magazine, the 80s are single fed in the AR15, you might have to do this but measure your throat/lands and see what you get away with/experiment with COAL lengths,

Wana pic my brains on anything mate go for it and good luck with what ever you try ...

Archived