cap and ball

dylan5588

Not the usual sort of question on here, but can anyone tell me what size ball to use in my .44 colt army, and .36 colt navy percussion revolvers, have been told .451 and .373 respectively. as they need to be a tight fit in chamber to avoid "flash over", does that sound correct.

Regards Adrian

I think I'd be more inclined to use .454 instead, thats what I cast for my 1858 and they seat easily enough, shaving off a thin ring on each chamber. Will give a slightly better seal and keep them firmly in place in the chamber during recoil.

As for the .36 I'd think at least .375 would be more suitable.

I think I'd be more inclined to use .454 instead, thats what I cast for my 1858 and they seat easily enough, shaving off a thin ring on each chamber. Will give a slightly better seal and keep them firmly in place in the chamber during recoil.

As for the .36 I'd think at least .375 would be more suitable.

Thanks I will give them a go, Both my guns have excellent bores but using the cal balls I quoted i am not getting very good accuracy, and they do not seem that tight when seated in the chambers.

Thanks again Adrian

Thanks I will give them a go, Both my guns have excellent bores but using the cal balls I quoted i am not getting very good accuracy, and they do not seem that tight when seated in the chambers.

Thanks again Adrian

Using the .454 ball cast from a Lee double mould mine will keep 5 shots in a smidge over 1.5" shot from a rest. And haven't ever had them creep under recoil either, even using the load in my profile pic which is as stout as it can be!

Using the .454 ball cast from a Lee double mould mine will keep 5 shots in a smidge over 1.5" shot from a rest. And haven't ever had them creep under recoil either, even using the load in my profile pic which is as stout as it can be!

In my original colt army, using .451 I am lucky to get a 12" group at 20 yards, maybe the larger balls will tighten the groups up a bit. I have not actually shot the colt navy as yet.

Adrian

I slug the chambers of the gun to determine the ball. Larger, to an extent, is better. I have a dozen or so replicas and two Ruger Old Army's (.457" ball on those) and all will shoot better than I can hold. My favorite is a Navy Remington .36 cal with three extra cylinders. I keep them loaded but uncapped, and slide them in once the previous cylinder is emptied. A felt underwad helps with chain firing. One of the biggest causes of chain firing on my experiments was using an oversized cap on the nipple and 'pinching' it into place. One of my 1849 .31 calibers touched off all cylinders twice dspite being greased over the bullets. It was the oversized caps I was using that caused the problem. Love cap and ball guns. Lethal weapons in the right hands.~Andrew

I slug the chambers of the gun to determine the ball. Larger, to an extent, is better. I have a dozen or so replicas and two Ruger Old Army's (.457" ball on those) and all will shoot better than I can hold. My favorite is a Navy Remington .36 cal with three extra cylinders. I keep them loaded but uncapped, and slide them in once the previous cylinder is emptied. A felt underwad helps with chain firing. One of the biggest causes of chain firing on my experiments was using an oversized cap on the nipple and 'pinching' it into place. One of my 1849 .31 calibers touched off all cylinders twice dspite being greased over the bullets. It was the oversized caps I was using that caused the problem. Love cap and ball guns. Lethal weapons in the right hands.~Andrew

Hi, thanks for that, I had a lovely little colt 1849 pocket with 6" barrel, boxed with flask, ball mould, nipple wrench and oil tub. sold it last year, wish I had not!!!! It shot so well,

Adrian

Archived