lovely evening walk & a new PB

soother223

went out for a stroll with my mate last sunday evening, one of the local farms had been doing his silage, so we decided to take the rifles over to see if we could get a crow or two or maybe a fox a bit later on....

it was a lovely evening for it with just a slight breeze & the wind turbine on the hill in the distance gave us a good indication of wind direction.

we started off watching a field on the other side of a small valley, we had the rifles lined up ready whilst we looked for a suitable victim...

my mate was first up with his 204.... we spotted this crow that seemed to be keeping his head down on something a bit longer than the rest of them. so we ranged him... about 400yds if i recall... took a shot... no luck! didn't manage to see any splash either.

20 mins later i was up... a crow sitting nice and steady in the field next door to the first one 540yds.. i wasn't in the most comfortable position but managed to have a go, a near shave for that one! about an inch to the right of him. the crows seemed to have got the message by this time so we decided to move on to another part of the farm. my buddy spotted a vixen sat out with some cubs playing in the field some distance away, but we decided it wasn't really a safe shot so left them be..

I then spotted a maggie in a field about 400yds away, i could see him through the branches of an oak tree, which might explain why he didn't clock us! my mate got this one lined up as i watched through my scope.. he turned out to be 460yds away, he waited till he settled and went for it... i watched as it stumbled in the grass and then made it's way off :( so,so close! looked like it went through it's tail feathers!

10 mins later we spotted some jacks and a maggie across the valley, my turn again... bloody things wouldn't keep still :angry: watched for nearly 10 mins before deciding that the lone maggie was my best bet... lined him up... bang and down he went! not sure of exact distance but between 545 & 550 yds :) we left him there and deciced to go for a look on our way back.. whilst discussing the shot my lurcher is in hot persuit of a fox that must have been in the field behind us! she chassed it round the field until eventually it managed to get through the hedge, we could see her frustration & knowing that she's about 10yrs old & stood little chance of catching it! i hopped up on top of a gate to try an see where it was heading as my lurcher looked for a way through... the cheekey thing only sat it the next field watching my dog running up & down the hedge! so i took care of business for her ;)

will try and get some pics up...

post-11615-0-64921100-1400799269_thumb.jpg

post-11615-0-88444300-1400799294_thumb.jpg

cant wait for the grass to be cut,hopefully they will start next week as I've got nine days off :D

Lucky get ! :P I hope your taking the 6.5 out ? soother - great shot soother what cali ?

Thanks guys. Will try an get a pic of the Maggie on.. but the other night the computer said no!

As for cal I was using my 22 ppc again, it seems to be on song at the moment☺

Nice long weekend ahead of us all too..

Away visiting myself

Archived