Zeiss Victory 8x56 Range Finding Binoculars

I'm thinking of changing my Steiners and Leica 1200 range finder for a pair of the above, just wondering what your thoughts and views are on the Zeiss bino range finders and are they worth the hefty price tag?

Cheers Andy

I'll start the ball rolling for you Andy!

As you know I use Leica Geovids, 8x56, usually they are brilliant, but I struggle at times in fog and damp weather.

When I tried the Zeiss in similar conditions they did seem to acquire targets with more regularity.

Not sure about the ballistic programme within the binoculars, just an unnecessary gimmick?

Seem to remember that the Zeiss laser covered a bigger area for the laser to "hit" to get a reading, which I wasn't keen on (in my mind on open ground I thought it might ping back infront of the target giving rise to inaccuracy?

Just my thoughts and would like to look into it more?

Regards Grouse

Ha that's just what I did swooped my Leica 1200 and Steiner binnos for the 10x45 Zeiss rf binnos and I'm so glad I did, saves a lot of time spotting and ranging, real good bit of kit ;)

Gaz

I'll start the ball rolling for you Andy!

As you know I use Leica Geovids, 8x56, usually they are brilliant, but I struggle at times in fog and damp weather.

When I tried the Zeiss in similar conditions they did seem to acquire targets with more regularity.

Not sure about the ballistic programme within the binoculars, just an unnecessary gimmick?

Seem to remember that the Zeiss laser covered a bigger area for the laser to "hit" to get a reading, which I wasn't keen on (in my mind on open ground I thought it might ping back infront of the target giving rise to inaccuracy?

Just my thoughts and would like to look into it more?

Regards Grouse

Thanks Grouse,

I'm unsure what to get, if the Leica's are good other than in rain, then if it was pouring down I probably wouldn't be there anyway :) :) I've spent a few hours researching them this afternoon and opinions are about the same, depending on which brand you prefer.

Ha that's just what I did swooped my Leica 1200 and Steiner binnos for the 10x45 Zeiss rf binnos and I'm so glad I did, saves a lot of time spotting and ranging, real good bit of kit ;)

Gaz

Is the inbuilt ballistic program any good Gaz, also are they switchable from yards to metres?

Cheers Andy

Is the inbuilt ballistic program any good Gaz, also are they switchable from yards to metres?

Cheers Andy

I'm 99% sure they come yards/ metres I only use yards and I always use my kestrel Horus never botherd with the ballistic program myself

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Gaz are these capable of giving an accurate reading on a crow rabbit size target (for example ;-) ) at over 500 yards metre,s ???

If you can hold them steady enough they will do that job fine

Gaz

Archived