DTA owners?

sib1948

[George: Hope you don't mind, but we've moved your DTA posts into this thread, where they sit more naturally - oddly, due to date/time of your original post, it now sits at the head of this thread :)]

Enjoyed your thorough review. I've only been into LR shooting for about 2 years. I have an AI AXMC in 260 & 308 on preorder here and, hopefully, should arrive here in the next month or so!

I have 2 DTA SRS A1s and thought you might like to see how they perform. I have the 260, 308 & 338LM conversions, which switch out in less than 2 minutes. All very accurate with adjustment of zero for each barrel. Very repeatable.
DTA260H4831_zps0ff82306.jpg
Six shots on windy day-15-20 mph left to right. First shot cold bore right and wind. DTA 26" 260 1:8 twist with TBAC 30BA suppressor. Lapua brass with Berger 140gr BT bullit over H4831 45.7gr. at 100 yards. Next 5 shots 0.16 MOA. Needless to say, I was very pleased and went home happy.

How many yards/meters were you shooting at for your test?

Have you tested how consistent headspace is after barrel changes?

How loose is the barrel just before final tightening?

Can you post a picture of the underside of the action?

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful rifle.

rxs0

I edited the prior post-100 yards and barrel has 1:8 twist. I have not chronoed it yet, but will post when I do. Here is a picture with my new set up ( just got the suppressors). The barrels are tight when you slip them into the sleeve and automatically index when you lock the bolt (6 lug) into the barrel before you tighten the four hex nuts and turn the locking hex nut 90 degrees on the opposite side, but shoots fine even if you forget the locking hex nut. Many shooters and military have proven the repeatability of this system. The picture is the DTA my son shoots with a March F 3-24X with FML-1 reticle. My DTA is all FDE and use a S&B 3-20X with MSR reticle. I'll be using my new S&B 5-25X with MSR reticle on my new AI AXMC, when it arrives. I'll be cleaning the rifles today and try to get some barrel shots to show how the barrels index. The new A1 version came out last year after Shot and has thick rubber recoil pad, so can shoot the 338 LM all day with no pain! What's not to love with that platform?

20140422_104148_resized_zps8f11d2f5.jpg

Good luck to all and as always be safe!

George

Nick who started Desert Tech around 2004 had many years of LR experience and wanted to build the perfect rifle. He has made many modifications over the years at customer requests. The DTA has the best bullpup trigger available and is fully adjustable. I shoot mine with a 2-2.5 lb. pull. He is presently working on a ten round magazine and left hand version.

In addition, last year our Government asked him to sell $15,000,000 worth of his rifles to Pakistan, which he promptly rejected, since he didn't want them ever used against friendly forces. It's a true honor to support such a company.

Sent one of my rifles in for an adjustment and have the muzzle brakes installed. It was one I had bought used in August, so technically not warranted, but he replaced the whole receiver at no charge as the serial # is on the foreend. He only charged $200 to mount the 3 breaks. Turn around was only 3 weeks. I only had to pay the return postage, since it was used. Otherwise, he would have paid all shipping charges for the repair. All DTA barrels are threaded 3/4 X 24 and cost about $700 fluted.

Some don't like the bullpup design, but fits me perfectly and makes the rifle 1 foot shorter than other sniper rifles!

George

What do you think of the magazine George ?

Design seemed a little strange when I viewed one, probably a one size fits all issue.

Magazines are all the same size and hold 6 short action rounds or 5 long action rounds. The short action magazines have a 3/4 inch spacer in the rear. Since the short action bolts are about 1" shorter than the long action bolts. When you switch from the long action bolt, there is a 1" spacer that slips in the rear before you replace the butt pad. This prevents a long bolt throw and is a brilliant solution to the difference in both lengths. Easy to cycle the short bolts without losing cheek weld. I'll get some pictures of that when I'm cleaning later.

Hi guys,

I'm after getting in touch with any srs owners in the north (west). I'm considering buying one, so it would be really helpful to see the real thing and talk to an owner. Pictures and reviews are helpful but I prefer the horses mouth and the chance to ask questions.

If anyone is going through to Warcop I would be really grateful if they could let me know and I'll do what I can to return the favour in the future.

Cheers

I own a dta srs covert mate. Unfortunately I'm down in sussex most of the time but get up to my parents in York regularly. Only had it a month so can't give a full review but it's a superbly built rifle!

Check out my comments and pictures in the Accuracy International AI AXMC 308 Thread below. I'll be posting more detail close ups the next time I clean my 2DTAs-most likely this weekend. Enjoy and be safe!

Magazines are all the same size and hold 6 short action rounds or 5 long action rounds. The short action magazines have a 3/4 inch spacer in the rear. Since the short action bolts are about 1" shorter than the long action bolts. When you switch from the long action bolt, there is a 1" spacer that slips in the rear before you replace the butt pad. This prevents a long bolt throw and is a brilliant solution to the difference in both lengths. Easy to cycle the short bolts without losing cheek weld. I'll get some pictures of that when I'm cleaning later.

George - we've moved your DTA posts from the AX thread and placed them here. Hope you don't mind :)

Meanwhile, gratuitous DTA pic.

This one's mine. It's outrageously, insanely accurate (when I can remember how to shoot :rolleyes: ) 6.5x47; 22" barrel by Mik at Dolphin; Lawrence titanium mod. I'll do a more detailed write up as time allows:

Lawrence_zpsd75c7310.jpg

Thanks for the pic BD. I'd seen 1948's posts, which where helpful, in their previous location. Thanks for Ewens kind offer of sorting a trial for me, when work allows I'll be taking him up on his offer. Hopefully the bump will turn up some more northern based DTA owners, that can lead to a pint and chat.

Cheers

George - we've moved your DTA posts from the AX thread and placed them here. Hope you don't mind :)

No problem! A dedicated DTA thread is nice and will be easier for everyone to follow. I've been busy at work the last 2 days, but should be able to post some more detailed pictures tomorrow.

My chrono data on my previous loads with MagnetoSpeed V2-260 26" barrel Lapua brass with Lapua 139gr Senar BTHP 2710 fps over H4350 43.3gr with no pressure signs. 308 22" barrel Win brass 168gr SMK BTHP over IMR4064 42.8gr 2650 fps. Both rounds easily 1/2 MOA when I do my part!

Still waiting impatiently for my new AI AXMC 308 in tan.

Both rifles are unique with multicaliber capabilities and reasonably priced in my opinion. Saves buying many different rifles and scopes. I enjoy the 260 rounds the best for the target shooting I enjoy the most between 800 and 1400 yards. It's interesting that both of the great rifles as well as the Barrett MRAD I used to own (sold it to by the AI AXMC) were designed by individuals with a true passion for this sport, rather than the large manufacturers, who just seem to rest on their laurels and not be much into innovation.

Right, here's the gen.

This rifle was supplied with a non-standard barrel;

- the barrel was supplied/chambered/profiled/threaded etc to my specs by Mik at Dolphin

3 zeroing shots,
then

1st ever group at left dot using ammo left over from my AW
2nd ever group at right hand dot using 37.5gr RL15 and same OAL as factory.

(I think Mik did rather a good job!)

20140306_093815_resized_1_zps43885ee7.jp

Think I need to do something about the colour matching.....

20140306_111701_resized_zpscae3fccb.jpg

The barrel's drops match an MV of 2775fps (out of the AW's 25" barrel, the same load was 2845)

The rifle is gorgeous. A delight to handle. (The only negative is the magazine which is just off-the-scale horrid). The tube is pretty fat; AWPish (rather than AWish); so CofG is just over the trigger.

It's madly pointable. I like being prone and realigning it to the tgt one handed holding the pistol grip. It's still a heavy piece of kit though. Must be about the same as an AW; it's just that the weight isn't waving about 2 ft infront of you.

First two groups at 100 were in the photo above. Didn't measure them, but they look well sub 0.25MOA (sub 0.2MOA).

At actual Bisley distances we dressed back and fired two or three 3-shot groups at each distance:

180m : 0.29MOA; 0.257MOA; 0.169MOA

277m: 1.03MOA (f3ck knows!) 0.5MOA

365m: 0.363MOA; 0.32MOA; 1,07MOA (wind was gusty between 6 and 14mph at 8 oclock; last group was around 3cm high by 12cm wide)

460m: 1.22MOA; 0.624MOA; 0.699MOA

550m: 0.46MOA ...then the hooter went.

That's thrown together ammo; gusty wind, a bit of ammo tinkering half way through (shortening the OAL) ......I think that's as well as I can shoot.

Wow!!! What make barrel is it bd? Man the 6.5x47 might have to go on my ticket!! Did you have to wait long for the barrel extension by the way?

Mik would have to correct me; but from memory, a Bartlein.

The crux of the matter. I admit that the DTA magazines have some issues by they work flawlessly for the DTA platform they were designed for. I am also certain that Nick is working hard on a DTA 10 round compatible magazine. I really don't mind six rounds for the short action and five rounds for the long action DTA magazines. Tends to slow my firing, improve focus and conserve ammo. Especially, the expensive 338LM!

20140517_093416_resized_zps9b2ccc61.jpg

This is my FDE DTA SRS A1 and gear. BD has the Covert version with shorter fore end to allow shorter barrels and overall shorter package. The two suppressors are my TBAC 338BA on the left and the 30BA on the right. BD's post above shows how accurate the short barrels can be!

20140517_093437_resized_zpse5e754d3.jpg

This shot shows the long action 338LM bolt and magazines with the 338 26" barrel above. The indexing groove is at 6 o'clock. The short action bolt and magazines are on the right. You can see the spacer in the rear of the magazines. 168gr SMK BTHP on left and 260 139gr Lapua BTHP on the right. The stop for the short action bolt is below it. 260 26" barrel above and the 308 22" barrel in the rifle. Short action barrels are Bartlin and 338 is an older Kreiger!

20140517_093743_resized_zps62f7bcee.jpg

This shot shows a 338LM round partially loaded into the chamber. You can see how the magazine angles the round up toward the chamber. Because of this design the DTA only loads easily from the magazine rather than from the top like AI's, but can be done with a lot of effort.

This rifle has had thousands of rounds fire through the various barrels and you can see very little wear on the chambers and barrels. I clean the chamber after every 2-3 range trips and lube the rear of the bolt lugs only and a drop of Kranoil on the bolt face and the swab the bolt face with a Q-tip to remove the excess. I only clean the barrels when accuracy stars to fade. Usually after 400-500 rounds. A few patches of BoreTech Eliminator, which cleans carbon and copper, followed by 1 patch with a little Kranoil on it. Luckily, in our desert climate, rust is not an issue.

Thanks, but you can't appreciate how this awesome rifle balances and how accurately it easily allows you to be until you have a chance to get behind one and shoot! Anyone is free to contact me, if you're ever in Arizona in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and would like to go out and get some time in behind one shooting-just pick your caliber and we'll be off! To all-have a great weekend!

Archived