pros and cons

OK heres 1 for the tech heads amongst us :lol: Ive been playing with the idea of 17rem fireball but have stummbled over the 223wssm, and to be honest I think this may fit the bill a little better. As posted earlier I am considering a custom rifle for foxing and vermin. The 223 will handle a larger bullet than the 17 and would probably reach a tad farther aswell. But I really dont know an awfully lot regards the wssm range except they use a small stubby case compared to the mother calibre eg 223 which in turn produces higher velocities. Can you lot enlighten me with pros and cons to the wssm please.

I've heard the bores of the factory rifles are chrome plated, but even so barrel life is reportedly just a few hundred rounds.

To be honest, I think you'd be better off with light bullets in your 25-06.

The fireball is a low recoil, low noise calibre. The 223 WSSM certainly isn't that. You're pretty well back to the 220 Swift you were originally thinking of, John.

The WSSM rounds are a dying cartridge here in the States. Retailers have heavily discounted these rifles to get rid of them. The 223 WSSM has accuracy concerns as well as feeding issues. Skip it entirely! I have two friends who own them and are just biding their time to rebarrel them to something else.~Andrew

Cheers lads for that input. As 17rem states it was the comparison to the swift that got my sniffing at it. Im glad Ive plenty time on my hands this could get a bit dirty!!! So thats the swift, wsssm out the window so to speak and the fireball is back at the top!

Archived