Tactical bolt knob

L200

Recently sent my remy 700 for a upgrade including a new bolt knob ,this operation promptly melted the silver solder and rendered the bolt knob useless ,I am picking the rifle up this week with bolt knob still unattached and am looking for a reputable smith in the midlands area to re -attach it.i really could do with getting it done ASAP either silver solder or tig I really can't do without this rifle for another few months so need it doing pronto .any ideas ?

Cheers

L200

Fail to understand why or how the process of machining a Rem bolt to fit a screw on bolt knob would "melt" the silver solder….

More likely the solder has detached and the handle dropped off...

The handle needs cleaning up and re soldering in place - I would have thought the smith who did the job in the first place would (or should) be able to rectify this issue easily and quickly for you.

This happens sometimes when fitting oversize bolt knobs, as the silver solder isn't always 100% perfect joint

If the "claw" on the bolt handle and secondary cam has been bent then a new bolt handle will be needed…….

I'll second that recommendation for Baldie, first class service and does what he says he'll do and when he'll do it. Two things that are rare these days in any trade!

Not to detract from baldie's ability in any way , but only an option geographically , if west of the midlands suits you better you could try Brock and Norris , sure they could help If it's easier to travel to for you . I Have been very happy with his work and for me it's a very short run from my location , rgds Ian

This can happen to anyone, and its not usually the fault of the chap doing the job.

Silver solder is a very strong fixing, but occasionally you can get what is known as a " dry " joint. This is not visible and doesn't usually cause a problem unless the bolt is put into a jig to machine, or the handle is struck with something like a mallet when there is a case stuck in the breech etc.

It needs to go in a jig for refitting, and its a better job welded. Whatever route you take, the bolt will likely need some cosmetic retouching etc.

Thanks guys soon as I've the rifle back I'll get this problem resolved and in no way do I blame the person originally tasked with the job and I understand remy's are prone to it and I guess if you've not got the jig you cant do it !

Archived