Hornady .223 steel cased ammo

Wazzer

It will be fine in an AR as they have a different extractor buddy. Remmy,s are pushed over the case head on feeding, and the brass usually gives a bit, so does,t dull the extractor edge.....but steel does.

An AR extractor is hinged on its pin , so will slip over.

I won't let steel cased ammo in any of my good rifles. I can't see running that steel case along the contact points of the chamber during feeding. We don't have steel cased Hornady .223 ammo in my area but I'm guessing it's Russian made and berdan primed? No thanks.

FWIW, I have reloaded steel cased ammo back in the 80s when some of the Eastern Block rounds were impossible to get in the US. I had a supplier for Berdan primers and an RCBS chisel-type Berdan decapping tool. Once you get the rounds reprimed, reloading is a snap because you don't reize the case: just put in powder and seat a bullet. A real pain in the a$$ for sure but back then it was that, the uber expensive and hard to get Norma, or not shooting.~Andrew

I don't know but it always amazes me that someone who would agonize over what kind of bore guide to use would cycle steel cases into his pet rifle. I have a friend like that: $1400 worth of rifle, another $600 for a scope -dedicated Dewey rods and bore guides... an he shoots steel cased Russian fodder through it. Say What??!~Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Archived