Standard to improved variation ?

jonathan.308

Do you need to apply for variation from a standard cartridge example 308 win if you want to the rechamber with an Ackley improved chamber or a 308 with different angled shoulder as the standard 308 as talking to a local Gunsmith yesterday who says I did not need to apply for the variation as still a 308 but I always thought I needed to.

+1 on ask your FLO-they will have a view,and you want to coincide with it! Better by far to be squeeky clean.

Sometimes to be acquired is a caliber ( eg 30 cal),sometimes its a chamber (308 win- 308w/7.62 is splitting hairs,but again squeeky clean...).

The authorities have,I think an overarching interest/obligation to public safety-so the difference in (say) of a 30 carbine chambered rifle and a 30-378 mag chambered rifle is not trivial,though both are 30 cal. I am not sure RFDs would all agree that either is OK,without clarification,though '7mm rifle' might well be considered to include 7-08,7x57,7x64,with less hesitation,but 280 Rem needs variation(which will be granted-firearms cartridge nomenclature/clutter is not devised by licensing authorities,or the Home Office, to whom it is probably a bit of a nuisance too,but by manufacturers-over decades and continents!) Anyhow,FLO view is definitive,in the first instance,and best sought in advance.

Best clarify,if good reason,there should be no issues.

Anyone who thinks the guidlines etc are inconsistent/messy/etc might usefully try to write a better set-by and large,they do not work against shooters,and allow some discretion,usually rather sensibly applied by FLOs.Now even more so,when one for one type variations seem quite readily processed.

Gbal

I have never seen Ackley Improved written on a certificate.

I would, and have signed ackleys onto tickets that have the standard cartridge designation such as 22-250 , 243 etc.

What you MUST do , if the chamber is altered in ANY way, is have it reproofed and supply them with the relevant chamber dimensions so the barrel can be stamped accordingly.

There are less scrupulous people out there, simply rechambering and not reproofing, which is downright dangerous.

An AI is no different from a palma, or a bisley, or a norma chamber, its just a variation on the basic .308 chamber.

I was told not to because it chambers and fires the std cartridge and Ackley ! This was about 15 month back ! But i think you need todo what your issuing force tell you , cheers

Hi Mate when you apply for a rifle it only asks you the calibre ,plus a ackley improved starts life as a standard round before you fire form it i never ask Flo i always check the law and only put what it asks for

Archived