243 87gr vmax

foxpig

Hi all

Just wondered what your experiences with the 6mm 87vmax was . Like what powders gave you best velocity. Best groups and whether or not they liked to be jummped or jammed ect..

aslo if you could include barrel length that would be great.

im having a new build with a 26/27inch 1/8 twist and want to get powders organised for its arrival.

I have my 70gr load sorted with varget but dont fancy using it on these 87's.

as always any help at all would be ace.

cheers

Thanks lads anyone ever tried this h1000v or w760.

I'm after a velocity around 3250 to 3350 ideally.

Swampy. Isnt n140 alittle quick for this round

I use RE15 with the 87gr vmax -it's not the fastest out of my 24" .243 (around 3100 fps) but very accurate. I use RE17 and N160 for my 90gr Scenar load and those powders will create slighter more MV. N140 will work well and Hornady reference it and N160 as notable performers in their manual.

243 win with 21 inch 1:8 LW match barrel with quite a long thoat. I worked up a load which keyholes 3, 4, or 5 shot groups at 200 metres in still conditions. I started at about 39.5 grains working up to 41.2 grains of RE15. I haven't chrono'd it yet and if I remember correctly I correctly input seating depth etc in quickload and it was somewhere near vmax pressure where it gets into the red sector on the pressure graph. So, please work up to this figure checking pressure signs along the way.

It shots point blank out to 225m zeroed at 200m. Drops roe every time.

Oh, COAL 2.680 inch which is maximum length for my mag.

I also tried n140 which was also v good but RE15 was better and for as long as I can get it I'll continue to use it.

I'm getting 3220fps out of a 22 inch 1:10 twist.

I use N160, think it's a 20 thou jump last time I checked. They look like they are seated fairly long.

Accuracy is ok, but not in the same league as my 80gn flat base bergers sadly... But they make a mess of fox!

Archived