CDI AI bottom metal for 595

oaken

Does anyone have hands on experience with CDI AI bottom metal, 595 tikka in particular?

Interested to know what quality and fit are like.

I appreciate that the action needs to be modified slightly but rebarreling presents an opportunity to do that.

The lure of a 10 shot 595 is becoming too great. :-)

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com

Rup

Richard Utting (sharpshooting/er UK on youtube) did a conversion to his M595 using a UK T3 DBM conversion although I recall he was told it would be easier with a Remington 700 kit, you might be shocked at the amount of metal that needs removing, if you know someone with a milling machine it might be better asking them. I would love to have my done but the thought of taking a dremel to my Tikka scares me, I'm wondering if using a Howa kit is do'able as its not that expensive and the mags are cheaper than the AI ones

Huge bonus if the bottom metal fits the action. I haven't fitted an aics to a 595 yet but it should be doable with a dremel if one is used to working with one. I've fitted a Howa AICS bottom metal to a Sako 579 which was a pain in the..... as the action needed dremel opening and the rear action screws didn't line up needing a separate fixing. The Remmy AICS bottom metal I fitted to an argentine Mauser needed a similar treatment. In both cases a suitable bottom metal was not available.

edi

Orca, I don't need to look back at Baldies posts to remember that it was very do'able, just not cost effective for him to do it. Removing metal from the action involves a fairly comprehensive strip down and reproof!

I just have to decide which bottom metal to use. Why does sharpshooter wish he had used r700 dbm when 595 is available? http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/

Edi, I'm glad you chipped in. If I send you the bottom metal with pillars ready cut for precise mag alignment, could you inlet one of your super-light tactical stocks ready for me to bed it? I read somewhere that you do have access to a 595. I'm also going to use "top hat" pillars to get away from the tikka L bracket recoil lug, so bottom inlet will be very un-tikka.

If you get the kit from a uk firm that advertise on ebay its just over £100, cdi works out at twice that by the time its here, not sure why it was suggested the 700 kit would be easier (might need less metal removed or I might have my wires crossed), probably best to ask him

They told me in email yesterday no problem shipping either DBM or mags.

Can someone tell me if the action screw spacing and mag position is the same with T3 and 595?

CDI do one specifically for the 595 (and offer to inlet and relieve the action for 60bucks) so may be worth paying the extra for DBM guaranteed to fit?

Archived