Ruger no1 build

For and against please guys.

Got a no1 donor and 7mm heavy barrel in 1in10 twist

It's for deer and hopefully boar mostly un moderated.

My gunsmith is doing the homework at the moment so any more input will be appreciated.

Especially any body who shoots one please.

Steve.

had one , have a real weakness for falling block rifles , you need the right guy to do it as they can be tricky to get to shoot well ?(all to do with forend hanger pressure apparently)

make sure you get some pictures on here for us to drool over!

Steve,

A US friend of mine collected No1's, his view of the rifle was the roulette nature of the barrel as the starting point, earlier models were good, then it went downhill in later production.

I personally love falling blocks. As has been pointed out the for-end pressure is an area to look at, from memory the 'Hicks tuner' is your friend here, thus: https://eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html. Developed by a complete arse, but it worked and now marketed by this bunch.

7mm?.. 30Blazer surely :)

Terry

had one , have a real weakness for falling block rifles , you need the right guy to do it as they can be tricky to get to shoot well ?(all to do with forend hanger pressure apparently)

Yeah I've heard that, very nice rifles though

Thanks guys for your input.

I've always wanted a no1 since borrowing one whilst on a cull in Germany.

I like the idea of a Hicks accurizer but will see how well it shoots first.

At the moment I shoot a 7mm08 which was what the build was going to be originally hence I have the barrel and action already lined up. But I would like to move up to something more Boar capable.

Will keep you all posted.

Steve

Lovely rifle design, I'm happy with a single shot for stalking and often take out a Drilling for summer Roe.

Would these boar be stalked, or driven?

Rgds

Ian

Archived